Hurricane evacuations

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MissJames, Jan 20, 2009.

1. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    I am so wanting to fulfill my lifelong dream of having more animals,especially goats.In another post I mentioned the eewww factor I keep hearing from friends and family.That won't stop me ,but last night I had a thought.
    I live on the coast of SC.We occasionally are in the path of hurricanes and are requested to evacuate.I'm inland a few miles,but if something like another Hurricane Hugo headed here I would have to leave.
    What on earth would I do with my animals? I'm not one to wave bye and good luck on my way out.I would need to take them somewhere,somehow.
    Any experience with this, anyone? I want to make sure I can do this.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. barnyard cat

barnyard cat Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2007
    Florida
    How many animals do you have and what??

I live in Florida....Pensacola specifically. I have evacuated twice now. I only have my 2 cats and they travel with me in the RV. You bring up a very good point. I left my chickens in Arizona with my cousin and I am thinking on getting a couple here...but now I am not too sure I want to travel with a chicken, and I definately do not believe in leaving animals to fend for themselves and for others to try and rescue when you can't get back home.

Hmmmm! I think I will move more inland before taking on any additional pet load.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good question, that has worried me too, since we are in Hollywood, just south of Charleston.

We have a big garage/workshop area and that is where all critters will go. I have slowly been collecting cages appropriate for the chickens, and if I ever get so lucky as to have goats they will be penned there, too. It's a very sturdy building.

Cats and dogs will be crated in the house, which is also strong. No damage at all from Hugo.

Whatever shelter you build for your goats need to be really sturdy, hurricane clips on the roof, heavy duty anchors, etc. Make sure the studs are screwed to the bottom plate.

Unless you can haul them out to somplace else, you're going to have to lock them in and hope for the best. DH and I have discussed this at length, and we won't evacuate. We stay prepared to hunker down. If you want more info, PM me.

I should add, we are not in a flood or surge zone, but mighty close! [​IMG]

4. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Hey neighbor! I'm just north of Charleston. My husband is a homebuilder,so I know we will have sturdy shelters.We didn't flood during Hugo,but our neighbors did. This is going to take some planning.
    Unless it's a massive hurricane we probably wouldn't evacuate either.Let's stay in touch.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Unless you can find cages for every animal and a vehicle or trailer to haul them in, there isn't anything you can do for them.

I know that if we were to evacuate, the only animals going with us, will be the three dogs. The horses would be turned loose, the chickens locked up, and the cats locked in the house and given a good bye and good luck. I love my animals, but I know that there is no realistic way for me to pack up 20+ chickens 2 geese, 4 ducks, 2 horses, and 2 cats, as well as 3 dogs and 7 family members and being able to evacuate.

I will however make sure they have plenty of food and water and that the cats and horses have identification tags on them. The chickens, I would just have to make sure they have plenty of food and water and are locked up tight.

Same with the quail. The geese, I'll just have to make sure they have food and hope for the best.

-Kim

6. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Good, solid common sense. If we had children, I'd be out of here in a heartbeat.

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Hey neighbor! I'm just north of Charleston. My husband is a homebuilder,so I know we will have sturdy shelters.We didn't flood during Hugo,but our neighbors did. This is going to take some planning.
    Unless it's a massive hurricane we probably wouldn't evacuate either.Let's stay in touch.

Okey-dokey! [​IMG]

8. MissJames

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I'm afraid you are right,Kim. I'm going for it and will do my best to be prepared.
    If I get any silkies,though...they're coming with me : )

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

Save the Silkies!!

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by