Hurricane Florence Losses

Well, they're coming out with numbers now.
According to this article Florence's flooding killed 3.4 Million chickens and turkeys, and I presume that's in the commercial farms, not the small time farmer, or the back yard chicken keeper...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...ons-under-scrutiny-for-contamination/70006106
I saw this to. :(

I was just thinking I wish I could send these back yard chicken folks some birds and share what I have... only to realize they probably have bigger worries. :hmm (plus I'm not NPIP certified)

They are in my thoughts and heart felt hope for their recovery. :hugs

The article states commercial growers.

...such as Sanderson ( a brand of chicken sold in stores) reporting losses of many buildings of broilers...
Yes, I understood... I figured there were other losses they weren't focused on... that didn't make headlines.

The commercial losses stink too... The loss of life was tremendous and sad.

Higher prices for meat to those that buy at the market most likely a result.

And contaminated drinking water to boot... natural disasters are scary. :th

It's devastating. My heart breaks for everyone that has been impacted and for everything that has been lost. And the mostly untold story of where all those dead animals end up can be worse.
http://truthaboutpetfood.com/millio...ing-livestock-animals-allowed-to-be-rendered/
That's great information... :highfive:

Fact is I rather have the deceased... not actually rotting carcasses, harvested and processed into whatever they could SAFELY be used for instead laying to waste. It makes sense whether we like it or not. I do harvest my animals IF they have an accident and I find them in whatever I deem a reasonable amount of time... with no previous sign of disease.... they will be fed to my family and or pets. :drool

Things are required to meet certain guidelines it states in the article... but goes on to focus on their point of view which is that we don't enforce our laws. It feels meant more to shock and outrage people than to inform them.... BUT that is typical of both reporting and political agendas... in my experience. Not saying you did that. :)

Tragedy happens. Millions of pets will die EVEN if they don't get feed with these Florence animals in them. :hmm

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying things are perfect even when laws are enforced. And yes I would be concerned about excess use of sub par practices in an event like this... I'm NOT truly satisfied with quality control on a lot of products as far as what's allowed in by FDA.. :sick but I do get their are challenges.

It's devastating. My heart breaks for everyone that has been impacted and for everything that has been lost. And the mostly untold story of where all those dead animals end up can be worse.
http://truthaboutpetfood.com/millio...ing-livestock-animals-allowed-to-be-rendered/

Man, talk about sensationalism! Tabloid journalism at its finest!

Even though they quoted it, the author totally ignored this part of the statute:
some limitations due to timing challenges and access to carcasses during flooding events.

Now, a splash-and-dash summer thunderstorm could produce a flash flood that could drown a whole houseful of poultry, and drain away fast enough to make the carcasses accessible within a matter of hours. But we are talking epic hurricane here, with some of the rivers only now reaching their crests, a week after the event began.

Do I really need to point out what said houseful of poultry would be like after a week of temperatures in the 80's? And, judging by my place, even if they aren't still completely underwater, I'm betting that most of those hog and poultry operations are still too soggy to be accessed by anything heavier than guys in waders. Slogging in and out, carrying a couple of birds at a time, is an incredibly labor-intensive and costly way to empty the house.

NOBODY, other than the author of the article, said that these dead animals will be disposed of in this manner. Whatever method of disposal is used, the state veterinarian has to sign off on it, and it is quite a leap in logic to assume that millions of rotting, maggot-infested corpses are going to get turned into pet food, simply because rendering is mentioned as a possible means of disposal for animals otherwise deemed not fit for human consumption merely due to the fact that they died the way they did.

Oh, and by the way, the "boil water" advisories are not because of inundated hog waste lagoons. The concern about contamination of drinking water is because loss of power means possible loss of pressure in municipal water systems, and the loss of pressure creates the possibility of ground water seeping into the pipes. There is much more concern about human waste leaking out of the city sewers, into the soil, and then into the drinking water, than there is about contamination from bacteria in the river water.

This is a massive environmental disaster. Efforts were made to try to avoid having it happen again; restrictions placed on what type of operation one could have in flood-prone areas, waste containment guidelines were beefed up, even buy-outs to try to get the most vulnerable areas cleared. Floyd was supposed to have been a once-in-a-hundred-years type event, but guess what? It wasn't, and even with all the heads-up and attempts to prepare, it has happened again. Is it reasonable to ask people to plan for a worst-imaginable-case scenario?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom