Hurricane Help??

MagicTheFamiliar

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2018
South Carolina
We live in Charleston, SC and are expecting Florence to come through in the next few days. We have been ordered to evacuate and are taking the dog and cat with us, But not the 7 chickens that I hand raised 6 months ago.

We built this predator proof run surrounded by hardware cloth over the summer and I feel like its pretty sturdy, but obviously we've never hurricane tested it. Im just worried about their safety being exposed in potentially 60-70 mph storms. My mom is very against keeping the birds inside and is sure that if we secure a tarp over the run, remove projectiles, and tie down the coops then they'll be okay. The thing is, the run is surrounded on all sides by hardware cloth except for a small area so during thunderstorms the chickens tend to be soaked afterward. I'm especially worried about the silkies being wet for so many days in a row (they won't willingly go into their coop so i'm worried they will sit out the whole time). Won't they get cold and sick?
1514399-bc294dade019cd4a8f4d3d34eb4355b7.jpg
1514400-a0168a0dcd8394baf8c2e4d363e626ae.jpg

I just think that if we have to evacuate the house, then why would we leave them outside? And if keeping them inside in a room is a better idea, if power goes out will temperatures be okay? Are there other inside dangers to watch out for? Has anybody whose done this before know what would be the best decision?

Attachments

• coop front.jpeg
    coop front.jpeg
    862.5 KB · Views: 10
  • coop side.jpeg
    coop side.jpeg
    833.3 KB · Views: 10
I would leave them in the run as your mom has suggested. You may want to remove any unecessary equipment or supplies that might fly around or take up space, and put a couple of cinder blocks in there for them to get up on. They may fly up on other items or in the coop. Make sure there is plenty of food in and out of the coop. It may mold, so place it in a covered area or in the coop. Hopefully, they will be okay.

I have to agree with Crazy. Putting tarps down isn't going to help, they will just get ripped off. My roof gets demolished every time we have one come up the East Coast....and I'm inland! The Silkies aren't as hardy as larger breeds that can fly up in trees/take cover. I would seriously try to take them with you or beg you mother to put them inside....even in a bathroom. I have a Florida room where I keep mine in situations like this. Yes, the mess can be horrible but you still have your beloved chickens after. I wish you much luck and safety during this storm. :hugs

I left my chickens in their coop and run for our last hurricane and although everything got horribly wet none of my birds got sick or died.
I think since you are leaving your house it its best to leave them in their house too.
Instead of locking them up indoors not know when you will be back to look after them and in case power goes out I would imagine it would get quite hot in the house.

We live in Charleston, SC and are expecting Florence to come through in the next few days. We have been ordered to evacuate and are taking the dog and cat with us, But not the 7 chickens that I hand raised 6 months ago.

We built this predator proof run surrounded by hardware cloth over the summer and I feel like its pretty sturdy, but obviously we've never hurricane tested it. Im just worried about their safety being exposed in potentially 60-70 mph storms. My mom is very against keeping the birds inside and is sure that if we secure a tarp over the run, remove projectiles, and tie down the coops then they'll be okay. The thing is, the run is surrounded on all sides by hardware cloth except for a small area so during thunderstorms the chickens tend to be soaked afterward. I'm especially worried about the silkies being wet for so many days in a row (they won't willingly go into their coop so i'm worried they will sit out the whole time). Won't they get cold and sick?
1514399-bc294dade019cd4a8f4d3d34eb4355b7.jpg
1514400-a0168a0dcd8394baf8c2e4d363e626ae.jpg

I just think that if we have to evacuate the house, then why would we leave them outside? And if keeping them inside in a room is a better idea, if power goes out will temperatures be okay? Are there other inside dangers to watch out for? Has anybody whose done this before know what would be the best decision?
I think you should bring them with you

If begging won't move your grandmother, maybe put a plea on Facebook? I know it isn't likely that anyone else will shelter or evacuate with them, but it doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you have a crate, food, and water they can take.
I agree they are unlikely to survive by themselves.

Make sure you leave plenty of food, think at least a weeks worth.
They will be fine when you get home.
The Hurricane is going to downgrade as soon as it hits land so you may not even get any strong winds...just a lot of rain.
:fl

Back
Top Bottom