Hurricane Hit Me And Just Bad Luck!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cfdf, Sep 14, 2010.

1. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    :so I thought last week started out GREAT ! I was lucky enough to find a 10 x 10 chain link dog kennel on Craigs List. My hubby and I put it up Sunday, a week ago, for another run. It looked great! I was soooo proud that I had finally gotten another fence for my chickies. [​IMG] WELLLLLL, then on Monday came Mr. Hurricane! It came right through Central Texas, my home. We got winds, 5" rain the first day, 5" rain the next day and 1" of rain the 3rd day. Let's see...where do I start? [​IMG] Let's just say my new fence got mangled. It was one of those 4 panel kennels. One scetion was completely bent in half. One section came completely apart. Another section was warped and coming apart and the last section was in tact (got lucky there huh?). I went out in the storm and dismantled it before it got any worse. I looked like a wet rat by the time I was finished. Now the story gets better.....since I'm a rather new chicken person, with a rather new, not quite finished coop, I don't have a way a to close the 4 large window openings on my coop(I tried to put trash bags over the windows and I'm sure it must have helped some but...). Needless to say, everything got wet inside the coop. My coop is 8 x 10. Only the middle of the coop wasn't wet. Ok, so now I had to take all the shavings etc out of the coop so that it could dry out and I could replace the shavings. I go out to the coop, turn on the fan and start raking up all the mess......sniff sniff....what's that smell?....smells electrical.....I look at the fan...smoke is coming out of it.....I reach up to turn it off and .... WOSH!....it catches on fire!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] So here I am, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off [​IMG] (oops sorry chickies! I wouldn't do that to you [​IMG] ). I run and get my water hose and spray it on the fire...... IT'S NOT GOING OUT!!! [​IMG] Oh shoot! I forgot to unplug it!! [​IMG] SO...now I have a water hose pouring water into my chicken coop that is already wet from the hurricane. I run outside and unplug the extension cord and the fire goes out. [​IMG] The good news is.... no harm was done to my coop ....well....other than the water every where. It did dry out. [​IMG] My hubby was able to bend and reshape the fence and put it back together. He did a great job! It looks almost as good as before. It's now almost a week later. I've cleaned and changed out the shavings. Everything is lookin GOOD! What's that? What did the weather man just say....more rain....WHAT?.....
    I haven't got the plexiglass yet!!!! [​IMG] I gotta git! NOW!!! HI HO! HI HO! It's off to Lowes I go! Wish me luck....Good Luck! I haven't a clue what I am doing. Hubby works out of state and won't be home for 2 weeks. (measure....measure again...do I measure the outside of the window? inside of the window? where do I need the plexiglass to go?) Hi ho! Hi Ho! [​IMG] I am in sooooo much trouble.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Tarps are great in a pinch .. we have out not-yet-covered chicken coop windows covered with tarps ..

I'm glad no one was hurt! Have fun!

3. cfdf

Apr 12, 2010
    [​IMG] HI HO! HI HO! It's off to the barn I go! (Now where are those tarps?) [​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    hang in there honey, we all have those weeks [​IMG]

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I too think tarps are lifesavers in emergency situations. I keep 3-4 new ones around with a load of bungees to hold them down. Once I wrapped an 8x8 coop I was building when it started raining. It was dry inside and I decided to sit in there while it rained. That 75 feet to the house was just too much in that heavy rain.

I hate to say it but I was laughing at the end of your story with the fan. Glad everything ended up ok.

Matt

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. cfdf

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm glad I made you laugh. It is funny ....now that I look back at it and all is Ok....I call it...."pulling a Lucy." As in, the Lucy show. If you are old enough to remember that show you will know what I am talking about. "Lucy, I'm home!" (I loved that show when I was just a month old)

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had those days too...just glad you, your husband and chickens wernt injured.

8. cfdf

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:It was just me and the 2 roos in there. All the others were outside playing. [​IMG] I'm just glad I didn't turn on the fan and walk away. It's hot here so I let the fan run 24/7. The only reason it was off was because of the rain. I had to move it to put trash bags across the windows. As my daughter-in-law said "we almost had fried chicken yum!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by