Hurricane Irene and Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by audrey02026, Aug 26, 2011.

1. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Ok so lockdown is tonight and the storm shouldn't hit me hear hard until Sunday night but it's a staggered hatch and I have eggs that should be hatching as late as Wednesday or Thursday. What if we lose power on Sunday...is there anything I can do to prepair for this or is it just all over if we lose power? [​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    You can go and buy an inverter at walmart. It will plug into your ciggeratte lighter. Than you can plug the incubator into it. Good luck and prayers are with you through the hurricane.

3. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    What a great Idea.....I actually already have one of those. You are the best!!!!![​IMG]

4. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    We bought one when we were having storms alot here. Did not want to lose my eggs. Good Luck.[​IMG]

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Great idea --I was worrying too. I'm in southern worcester county, MA, and have staggered hatches scheduled for this week and next week. [​IMG]

6. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I hope they all hatch. Good luck. And please stay safe. [​IMG]

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Its a good time to compare the required wattage of your incubator... to the max wattage output of you inverter. You don't want to find out too late that you don't have enough output to run your incubator.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    CPU back up batteries work well too if you at your hatch day. Stay safe, glad it is gone from us and slated to only be a Cat 1 once up your way.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    FLChickens wrote: CPU back up batteries work well too if you at your hatch day. Stay safe, glad it is gone from us and slated to only be a Cat 1 once up your way.

Ok. But what are CPU batteries?

MIKE555444 wrote:
    Its a good time to compare the required wattage of your incubator... to the max wattage output of you inverter. You don't want to find out too late that you don't have enough output to run your incubator.

How do I check? What am I looking for to know?​

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    CPU are Computer back up batteries. staples even some walmarts have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by