Hurricane Irene - Watch out East Coast

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
According to the Weather Channel , "Hurricane Irene became the first hurricane of the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season early Monday morning as it moved offshore of Puerto Rico.

Hurricane Irene is now forecast to become stronger over the next 5 days since its center is expected to track over less land in the Caribbean, tracking toward Florida and the Southeast U.S. Thursday into the weekend.

Irene has already produced widespread tree and power line damage across Puerto Rico."

The projection is showing the "cone of uncertainty" to hit anywhere from Florida to North Carolina between Thursday and Saturday. By the time it makes it to Charleston, SC they are forecasting Irene to be a Cat 3 hurricane.

We've already started filling water containers and doing some general prep in the case of the storm. The chicken coop is very sturdy (made of railroad crossties) so we may move the goats inside the coop with the chickens if the winds are looking like they will be bad. They will be in close quarters for a few hours, but it's better than their 3-sided shed in 115 mph winds.

So, what are you doing to prep?

Quote:
Thats funny you can always tell the weather people get excited about an hurricane.. hope everyone will be safe.

Last edited:
I used to get really excited about hurricanes and such until I got married and have my own house and critters to take care of. Now I just about panic. Hubby is a firefighter and Paramedic, so he gets excited during hurricanes as well because it means he'll get to get out and cut some trees and do some stuff besides responding to wrecks and such.

Hope all stay safe. I need to call my Dad. Unlike my siblings who are on the east coast of Florida and may get a hit, Dad is in Central Florida, but I know he'll worry.

Take care
smile.png

I'm in Charleston, and hoping current predictions change ALOT.

I"m really not sure what I'll do... It's hard for me to imagine any structure surviving those kind of winds, but my coop is somewhat protected by a cinderblock outbuilding, large trees (god i hope they don't fall on my house!) and the house. I guess my options are to lock em up in the coop and hope for the best, or I can stick em in the shed, which is sturdy.

Ugh. I used to get excited about the prospect of serious tropical weather, but now I'm a homeowner and wishing it would just turn right!

not worried about it. Yet. Lived on the SE coast all my life. Have NO idea how many hurricanes and tropical storms we've gone through. Only ever left for Floyd. That was a scary sucker, spinning at a cat 5 out there heading straight for us. Luckily, it died down to a 3 before it reached land.

Back
Top Bottom