Hurricane Matthew advice for protecting chickens and ducks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by m5thfl, Oct 4, 2016.

1. m5thfl

m5thfl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Hello,

I need some advice about what to do with my chickens and ducks for this hurricane that is going to pass by us. I have 11 chickens and 2 ducks. We live in central Florida right on the mainland on the east coast. We have a chicken shed outside, but 2 walls are the wooden fence. I thought about bringing them into the garage, but I read someone's post who said it might get too hot. I doubt the shed would make it through 100mph winds. We haven't been through a hurricane yet.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If your coop will be destroyed (mine sure would be!) in predicted winds, get them into a safer place, including food and water for several days at least, so you don't run out. Set it up now, just like you are getting your home and family safe. Big dog crates work fine, or a fenced off area, in the garage if it's not going to flood or blow over. I evacuation is your best option, do it early so it's not a mad scramble. All the best, Mary

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. m5thfl

m5thfl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Thank you all! We ended up moving them to the garage. Our coop lost 2 tin panels that were on the roof; it held up fine. Chickens were ok in the garage.

1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Glad to hear that you are all well. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by