HURRICANE MATTHEW Cat. 4 evacuation!! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaratManor, Oct 4, 2016.

1. MaratManor

MaratManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia
    We have Hurricane Matthew barreling this way (Brunswick GA) I have ten chickens in my backyard, I have a coop we made from pallets in early spring, we also have a small 6 hen house within that coop. My question is, if we have to leave for a few days what do I do what my hens? I've never left them in the coop for more than a day, they mainly free range. I've never left them period. So do I leave the doors open? Try to put them on my screened in porch? It's covered but we worry about that blowing loose if we have strong winds....my garage isn't an option nor is taking them with me...I'm pretty worried about them!

2. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    could you set up a temporary run? one can easily be made with chainlink fencing and some chicken wire, I'm not sure how that would stand in high wind but it would allow the chickens space to run, and scratch around in a safe place.

3. quackersandfern

quackersandfern New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Why don't you put them in a dog carrier or kennel and bring them with you? That is what I would do, as who knows how long it will be until you are able to return to your home, and even if they somehow survive, they may end up dying from starvation or dehydration.

It really is not hard to do, I have done it may times when I've had to move. Chickens are so good, if you cover up the carrier with a towel they may even sleep the whole ride. Just throw a layer of shavings on the bottom and attach the little plastic feed and water containers used for small animal or birds along the metal bits of the carrier.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Go get some chicken wire and 2x4's and make a temp chicken pen inside your house. You will have a big mess and smell when you get back, but you'll still have your chickens.

5. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

I would but we don't have the space with a large lab and his crate, and an autistic 3 year old with high demands..They haven't told us to evacuate but I'm thinking it's coming very soon. I worry so much about them, our coop is the safest place for them I would think BUT it floods HORRIBLY...I really don't know what to do.

6. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

7. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia
    I thought about it, but we are renting this house from my sister...I don't think she would agree to that! I'm stuck and I am soooo worried

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by