Hurricanes and livestock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lishah2000, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

With the possible threat of Emily I'm trying to make some plans for the animals and housing.

My big coop is probably strong enough to handle a smaller storm, but I can't figure out how to cover the windows, but still allow fresh air to get in. I can move the rest of the chickens into that coop in dog crates and would most likely bring some of my banties into the house in cages.

The two LGDs can stay on the porch and be protected. The biggest problem would be my goats, ducks and turkey. The ducks and turkey free-range 24/7. I could probably fit the turkey into the big coop somehow or figure out a way to keep them on the porch with the dogs.

Would the ducks and goats do better if they were loose on the property? We have lots of trees, so that's a danger, but there is also a pretty good wooded area with areas of cover.

No barn or garage.

2. SEMCNABB

SEMCNABB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    South Mississippi
    I have horses, cows, dogs, cats, and chickens and during Katrina, yes we stayed, I had some dogs in house with me, others in barn and all other livestock we turned out. I was told that they know how to take care of themself and they did. I did not want to turn my show horses out becouse they had ever been out but I did. Had I not eywoulnot have ade it! A tree fell on the barn and it flooded.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    You could cover the windows with 1X4 slats nailed to the frame leaving 1/2 between.. or you could drill holes in plywood and put the plywood over it like you would other windows. Not sure how important fresh air will be at that moment! Best of luck!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you cage or crate your chickens, and you put 2 or more per crate/cage...make sure you match them up according to who gets along with who. They will pick/peck and fight and squawk if you dont. Been there.

5. lishah2000

Quote:Good ideas. I do have shutters I could put on. Might have to try that and see how much air gets behind them. Little over kill considering the walls are plywood, but I have extras on hand.

Fresh air would be pretty important. If I put all of them in the coop at once and didn't have air circulation they would probably die before the storm got going good. It would just get too hot very quickly.

6. lishah2000

Quote:Something to think about for sure. The birds I would consider bringing in are mostly silkies, but all that same size. They all squeeze into cages to set on eggs and to sleep at night. They also raise chicks together, so I think they would probably do OK. I have a pretty good idea of the ones that get along. Some of the standard size girls I will have to experiment with. Some I'm pretty sure would be fine, others I would have to try it and see.

7. inohio

inohio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Tag your dogs and goat. Write your name/phone on cloth with permanent market and tie it on them in case they get scuttled somewhere strange during the storm.

Good luck and stay safe

8. lishah2000

Quote:Glad you horses were out and not hurt. Good to know they did well in a storm that strong.

Did you keep the chickens in?

Might not need this information for this storm, but I like to have a plan just in case. Right now I'm on the side of leaving the goats out to choose where to go. We do get flooding with heavy rains and I would rather they were able to move away from it. I'm guessing the ducks would stay in the pond if left out. Most of them would be extremely stressed by being confined. They were hatched and raised free-range and have never been confined.

9. SEMCNABB

SEMCNABB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    South Mississippi
    I did not lock the chickens up, just let them go in but left the door open if they needed to run. They did ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by