1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hurricanes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debbieb234, Aug 3, 2011.

1. debbieb234

debbieb234 New Egg

Nov 29, 2009
    I need input.I am on the east coast of florida and emily is coming this way.i never had chickens when a storm approched what is the best action to protect them.they are in a coop.have sun shade on them for the heat and they have survived very bad thunderstorms do i need to do anything more?

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I'm in Florida also. My hurricane plan it to keep the birds in their coop (that's protected by the side of the house) to keep them out of the rain and wind and flying debris. If I have to evacuate, I've got dog crates to put the birds in and they go in the car.

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I just looked at the threat level for Emily on the weather channel site and it is low. I would think that would be like a bad thunderstorm so unless they are on low ground where it could flood I would think they would be ok. But I am no expert on this and could be wrong. Good luck, maybe someone else has some other input for you.

Mollie

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm just north of Jacksonville on the coast. We will only evacuate if there's a strong cat 2 or above hurricane. "We," includes the chickens, I have crates and cages for all of them. I've been through a few over the years...I was in Charleston when Hugo hit. Never again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by