1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HURRY! Electrolyte recipe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frizzlett98, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I need a recipe for electrolyte water for a baby duck. If all I have is sugar will it work?

2. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I have a baby duck who is doing some sort of spasm with his head. He sits up really straight and then topples over backwards. He will drink and was fine a few minutes ago. He drunk quite a bit of water. We just bought these so water is all they've had. We just gave them food 5 minutes ago. Any ideas? I just squirted sugar water in his mouth but I have no idea how much sugar was in it.

3. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    He is eating now.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here you go:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water

5. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    For rehydration formula I usually go online I have used one 1 cup water 1 tablespoon sugar 1 teaspoon salt. I have used that for rabbits dogs chickens etc

6. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    My sister is watching them and she said he is almost walking normally. He'll walk normal for a while and then back to weird walking. She said he's still doing that toppling over thing but not as much. He is eating like he should. I've never had ducks before so this is new to me. Sorry I'm commenting so much. I'm getting information as it comes to me. I'd hate for him to die in front of her because she loves her ducks so much. Ok now we're walking normal again from the time I started this and now. Still doing a weird head jerking.

7. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks guys.

8. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    He hasn't had water all day due to being at an auction. Could it just be he's dehydrated?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know if ducks have wry neck or crook neck as chickens do, but it sounds like that, also called encephalomalcia or star gazing. In chickens it can be a vitamin deficiency, heretdity, or from a head injury. I would get him started on vitamins right away--vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, and selenium which is found in eggs, are the ones to especially give. Baby vitamins (polyvisol without iron) can be used 3 drops daily by mouth, or a poultry vitamin/electrolyte powder added to the water.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dehydration could certainly cause a fluid and electrolyte imbalance which could cause the neurological symptoms. I hope that you can get him better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by