Hurt and/or ill pullet; advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jen727, Dec 27, 2016.

1. jen727

jen727 Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Picayune, MS
    Hi, all! Appreciate any help in figuring out what's wrong with Camilla and how to help her.

Yesterday I noticed her limping, so I immediately separated her from the flock and got her into a kennel. I examined her leg pretty thoroughly, and can't find an obvious break. The leg almost seems paralyzed, or the foot at least. She won't curl the toes or put any weight on it.

She's also sitting with her tail and wings down, and panting. Unsure if it's just from pain or if something else is wrong. She did have some green unusually smelly poop, but them some normal poop as well.

The good news: she has a huge appetite, so I've been getting lots of good stuff into her. Drinking well too. Eyes and nose are clear. Still "talks" to me every time I come out the door where her kennel is.

I don't have a chicken vet nearby. Should I splint the leg as if it's broken for sure? Is there something else I can do? Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you examined the bottom of the foot? If it's too dirty to see very well if there might be an injury, soak her feet in warm Epsom salts for fifteen minutes, dry the feet, and look for black, crusty spots that weren't washed away. This could be bumblefoot, a staph infection.

Also check for foreign bodies, like cactus spines, pine cone scales, and wood splinters.

3. jen727

jen727 Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Picayune, MS
    Thank you! I did check her foot pretty well yesterday and today, mostly checking for signs of bumblefoot. No foreign bodies either. I will soak in epsom anyway, though. Can't hurt! Thanks again.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

She possibly jumped down off the roost wrong and sprained her leg?....Sometimes it takes a few weeks to heal.....

If she is eating and drinking fine with no other symptoms? I would not be to concerned.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. jen727

jen727 Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Picayune, MS
    Update: her tail is back up today, although the wings are still down and leg/foot still lame. Guess that's a good sign? Would still love to hear any further advice about possibly splinting, or anything else I should do. Thanks!

6. chickens really

I would keep her in a look no touch pen with the flock.....If she is gone from the flock they will not want her back.....You will then have another problem with pecking order......If she can put weight on it, I would just leave it to heal.....

Cheers!

7. jen727

jen727 Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Picayune, MS
    Oh, excellent point!! I'll move her crate back out there. Thank you!

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sometimes it's a vitamin deficiency that causes lameness. I have a hen right now that is lame, and I'm giving her Poultry Nutri-drench once a day. It may or may not work, but certainly won't hurt.

9. chickens really

No problem.....Most things are simple fixes........I was taught the KISS Theory......lol

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  10. jen727

jen727 Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Picayune, MS
    Ok, I'll see if the feed store carries it. They do eat organic laying pellets primarily, with some goodies and forage thrown in, but she's the smallest and bottom of the pecking order, so maybe she wasn't getting enough. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by