1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hurt baby, please give adice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jackhorn01, Aug 4, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I have a handful of chicks in a sectioned off part of the coop ( growing pen ) one of the young pullets, became caught in the fence somehow and was stuck helpless in range of the adult hens. They worked her over pretty good. I have her inside the house now recovering and she is looking better. However, the top of her head is completely bare of all feathers and skin. Her skull doesn't appear to be broken anywhere, but it is exposed. There is dirt stuck to it. I was wondering how and what to use to clean it with? What is the best way without hurting her? One of her eyes was closed but is open now, but looks different than the other. She doesn't get quite as excited as I feel like she should when I pick her up, but she is walking around and standing and even flew outta the structure I have her in once. So she does have some energy. I'm thinking she'll make it , I'm just wondering about infection from that dirty wound on her head. Please give some suggestions.

2. colochicks24

colochicks24 New Egg

Jun 26, 2013
    I've never dealt with an exposed bone before (yikes!) but how about using hydrogen peroxide on it? You could hold her sideways and pour it over her head so it won't get in her eyes/nose. If there is dirt in the wound you need to get it out and get it as clean as possible. I would then slather on some antibiotic cream. And maybe repeat the whole process tomorrow. Is she eating/drinking? I would guess that you'll be able to tell in a day or two if she's going to make it.

Good luck!

3. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Yeah shes eating and drinking I believe. Shed be dehydrated by now if she wasn't. Its been a day or two. I just didn't realize exactly how dirty it was due to how busy I've been. I guess wipe it with a rag soaked in peroxide? I'm trying to think of the least painful way to wipe and clean out that wound.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I would only use peroxide for the initial cleaning. After that it will only inhibit healing. The best way to clean a wound is to irrigate it. Do you have a syringe( without needle )? Even some betadine in a squirt bottle and if you have none of the above saline is also good. Spray the wound with blu cote or otiderm to help disinfect and keep the flys away.

5. colochicks24

colochicks24 New Egg

Jun 26, 2013
    I agree about irrigation. You can either use a syringe (w/o needle) or a squirt bottle and squirt the peroxide onto her head, or you can just pour it on there. I would not use a cloth, as I don't think it will be as effective at removing the dirt. The peroxide will bubble and pull the dirt out of the wound.

6. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I squirted peroxide onto it as well as gently rubbing with a q-tip to help get the clustered dried dirt off. It looks like it cleaned up pretty good. The flies aren't an issue as I am keeping her inside until she gets a little better. After cleaning with the peroxide and drying, I put antibiotic ointment on her. Should I follow up with more ointment or just let nature do its thing? Also, how long do you guys think is safe to keep her inside without having to completely reintroduce her into her flock. The ones she is in with are a couple months old and still little girls.

7. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Awww...I don't have advice, just wanted to say I hope she continues to improve and can go back with her peeps soon!

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You are going to have to keep her separate until that is well healed. You may have to work on re-integrating but you also might be surprised how long they remember their flock mates. I've had chickens out for a week or two and when they went back it was as if they'd never left. Just have to see how it goes.

I had a hen scalped once a couple years ago, about a quarter size area of flesh on top of her head was completely missing. I washed it out with saline and kept Neosporin on it. I think she was out of the pen for a good week, maybe more. Once it started to heal over I coated it with BluKote and the other birds never looked twice at it. You'll just have to watch your birds wound and see how quickly it heals.

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Good job! Now just keep it clean and yes reapply the ointment for a few days. Once you put her back outside spray it with blukote, to keep the flies away. I have loaned broody hens out for weeks at a time, and had no trouble with them fitting back in. Lets just cross 1 bridge at a time.
    Your doing a great job.

10. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Shes doing great. Got all her life back and starting to fly outta the little make shift indoor chicken yard I have set up for her lol. Just a little more skin to go and the exposed bone will be covered. Almost time to put her back out I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by