Hurt bobwhites

Discussion in 'Quail' started by brodydwhite, Mar 29, 2017.

1. brodydwhite

brodydwhite Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    This was wrong with my bobwhites foot what is wrong with him and how do I fix. Thank you.

2. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    The photo won't work but it is swollen and it is read and kind of infected it is on the joint right above his foot

3. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    It could be a sprain, dislocation, infection, and or a broken bone. If it's an infection like you think try getting some tylan50 from tractor supply and soak the foot in Epson salts( just fix a bath, that is only ankle deep, in a very confined container).

Can he/she still walk and move around properly?

And to post a photo you need to press/click on the little mountain and moon icon.

4. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    [​IMG] It finally worked and he can walk when he gets too close to me but he limps on the one leg most

5. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    And it has got worse than that

6. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Yup definitely an infection start applying anti-bacteria lotion(neosporin) to the infected area and keep it clean up off the dirty ground on clean bedding or mesh. Continue to soak in epson salt and get some tylan50 or another anti-biotic. For tylan50 I would think a little less then a 1/4cc orally every day for 3 to 5 days. It is Essential that you keep her/him on clean bedding.

Another photo of the pad of the foot would help just to rule out bumble foot (in my experience it doesn't look like bumble foot but never had it on quail, looks more like an infected cut or wound, at the same time it looks like it on both feet.)

7. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    Thank you for the help! I will try that and here is a pic of it now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by