hurt cat HELP --- Pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thefishery, Dec 5, 2009.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My sons cat has been attacked by something....or someone. I say someone because we've had a lot of trouble with our neighbors. They've killed some of our chickens and poisoned our dog resulting in a horrifying death. This cat is just an outside cat we've had for 2 years. He was a kitten of a stray that we took in. All of his litter mates died from a respiratory infection so he's a strong little guy so I hope we can get him past this.

This is whats going on with him.....Snowy is his name...

His front left leg, on the inside looks like all the fur has been removed and there is one clean puncture wound
    His front right leg looks like it is broken. It appears to have a couple smaller puncture wounds. He holds this leg up and hobbles on the other one letting this paw dangle. I thought that maybe he couldn't feel it anymore (it's been two days) but he was moving it.

Other wise he looks fine. He came as fast as he could last night when I fed the cats. He did his usual feeding habits...hogging the bowl, choking down the food as fast as he can as usual. His tail is poofed up like cats do when they see a dog. Tonight, I brought him inside the house (prays my husband doesn't find out- he is not the cat kind) he is laying on our down stairs couch. We fed him and I gave him a little bit of antibiotics. He wasn't too interested in drinking water at that point. He was purring. I know that cats in pain will purr a lot but I don't think Snowy's purring is unusually much especially for special treatment.

So to get down to it, I need to know if anyone knows of a location, group or something that works with people to get their pets vet care. My husband has been laid off, off and on for the last year and a half. Money if very tight. There is no way we could even do a payment plan right now. Someone told us to 'just take care of it' but we can't. We just lost our dog over the summer and my son is still having a hard time with that. I couldn't imagine the pain he would have knowing his cat didn't make it. So please, any advice is welcome.

We are in KY.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    He needs a vet if hes got a broken leg. I understand about not having enough money..I'm in the same boat..
    but i'd give my animal up to a shelter or something before i let them suffer..IF you give the animal up it will at least get vet care. Know what i mean? OR call local vets to see if they will do payments?? not likely though..

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry your Snowy is hurt. Redhen is right, he needs to go to the vet.

Imp

4. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I'm pretty sure if I take him to the shelter, they will put him to sleep. Do shelters normally help provide vet care?

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think they do..the humane society..not sure about small ones though..
    but, yeah, they must have vets handy dealing with all those animals..
    Also..i know it sounds horrible and i'm so sorry. IF the cat is suffering...and has a broken leg. And you cant afford vet care..then being put down humanely is better than suffering. Just my opinion though.. I feel bad for you...i know what its like not having enough money when something bad like this happens.. [​IMG]
    I'm not sure how badly its realy hurt though..so..you have to use your common sense judgement on this one. Just dont let it linger and suffer if its bad off..its not fair to the animal.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  6. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I know the shelter here wouldn't do anything to help, they don't even seek vet care for the animals they have, much less worm them. I'll try going the next county over where they have a humane society. Really he doesn't seem to be suffering. Other than holding that foot up. Man, I wish my kids would stop messing with my camera so I can get pictures. If I can't get him some care, I do understand that it is best to just have him put down [​IMG] I just want to make sure I eliminate all my other options first, kwim?

Thanks for the responses.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Right..i totally understand. Try to get a pic of him..so we can better tell...also..maybe the leg isnt broken..?? [​IMG] Hes going to need antibiotics for that puncture wound to start with..

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Checking with a vet is the first step. The leg may not be broken. Could be a pulled tendon, but you need that confirmed. Good luck with Snowy. Hope it all works out.

Imp- sorry you are going through this.

9. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I have one with a wounded leg too right now. Where do I find antibiotics? Can I just get them over the counter?

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think some feed stores have them?? i think Tractor supply has them...not sure which ones are safe for cats though..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by