1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hurt Chick (*warning Graphic Pic*) -- Can she recover from this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizanne, Feb 27, 2013.

1. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    I have a 1 1/2 week old "mystery chick" I put with my broody hen (she already had 3 chicks, and seemed fine with the new one yesterday). When my husband went out to check on them this afternoon the chick had gotten out of the caged run (where the mom and babies were) and was running around the backyard with all the grown up chickens. My husband picked her up to put her back into the brooder with all the other chicks, and noticed she had a big wound on the back of her neck. I brought her in the house, and set her up in a box by herself with food and water. She is eating a drinking and pooping like normal. What else can I do for her. Is this something she can recover from?

[​IMG]

You can't see it unless she streches her neck.

[​IMG]

2. Dosent look like she is losing alot of blood
    but to make sure it dose not get infected u should put some hydrogen peroxide on it
    I will think positive and say she will survive looked like she got pecked by one of the older chickens

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Put some blu-kote on the wound and put her back with her mother. Unless it was the hen that hurt her, you need to put her back otherwise you will have to raise the chick by its self. Keep a close eye on her.
    She seems fine, and the wound doesn't look like it is bleeding. [​IMG]

4. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    I agree--the blu-kote will not only be an antiseptic but will color the skin blue so the other chicks and chickens don't peck at it. I would keep a close eye on the chick since she was 1 1/2 wks old when you put her in with the mother hen. The chick might not feel like she is part of the mother's brood and run off esp. if the other chicks feel the same way. I think your chick's wound will be ok as long as no one picks on it. I have a comet hen who was ruffed up by my young dog last year. My dog pulled all the feathers and skin off the back of her neck and it was very raw. Not a pretty sight to see. I sprayed the blu-kote on her neck and she healed up fine--red skin around her neck with no feathers though. She looks like a naked-neck chicken. It is amazing how healing occurs!

5. srm220

srm220 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    howz she doing?

6. Make and do not put her with the other chicks yet! I had a broody hen that pecked a chick and she had a wound on her side and I put her in the brooder with some baby marans and they mauled her to death! They like flesh or blood! Make sure she heals first! I have a naked neck chick that got pecked yesterday right on her fleshy neck and she bled and I had to seperate! Good luck!

7. lizanne

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    Checked on her this morning, and she still seems to be doing fine. Eating and drinking. I'll take another picture I her tonight when I get home.

8. srm220

srm220 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    How about sticking the edges of the cut together with superglue?

9. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    I am glad you are keeping her apart from the other chickens and chicks so they will not peck at her. So glad to hear she is eating and drinking. Sounds like she will do just fine.

10. lizanne

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    She still seems to be doing fine. I got some blue kote and put it on, so she looks kinda crazy right now. I put her back with the other chicks, but seperated the layer from the Cornish X, so she won't get squished by the fatties. Thanks for the advice. I think she will probably be ok. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yelling loudly

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by