Hurt chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by procyonlotor, Mar 31, 2017.

1. procyonlotor

procyonlotor New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    I've recently started raising 6 Rhode Island Red pullets. One has a hurt right leg and is growing at a slower rate than the other chicks. Today I came home from work and noticed her right wing didn't look right. It's looking like she flew into the heat lamp and burned her feathers. I don't see any damage to the skin underneath. What do I do to help her? [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Has the hurt leg one been that way from the beginning? I have them that hatch once and a while with a messed up leg. The pic does look like scorched feathers.

I so wish I could save the world of chicks from these chick killer heat lights---but I do not know where to start. Why TSC and other places send heat lights home with people that are buying only a few chicks I will never know. So many chicks die from them or get burnt, even some burn their buildings down with them.

6 chicks need no more than a 60 watt(I use 40 watt for 6 chicks) incandescent bulb screwed in the same light fixture but not the red 250 watt heat bulb---BUT, BUT, BUT the light fixture has to be lowered into the brooder so the floor temp directly under the light is 95 to 100 for the chicks first week. Think of a broody hen---if she was in your brooder----she only heats a plate size spot under her and the chicks go under her to warm when needed---no other spot would be heated---only under her----so why don't we do the same with a light so we don't fry them with these huge wattage red bulbs. Good Luck
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    An alternative to heating with light bulbs is the heating pad system. I encourage you to consider it and to read about it from the thread on this forum.

If you describe your chick's leg problem in as much detail as possible and supply photos, maybe we can recommend something that could help you help the chick.

Your chick has a defect that is noticed by the other chicks. If you observe this chick and how the others relate to it, you will probably see them tormenting it. That's probably why it panicked and flew into the heat bulb. This is why many of us have switched to the heating pad system. It's so much safer and more natural.

4. procyonlotor

procyonlotor New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    I had her about 4 days when I noticed she was not putting weight on the leg. Over the last few days, she has been using the leg hurt leg more and more. I'm hoping this means she is healing. Other forum's I read didn't really suggest anything that could help other than time. I did just change their bulb to a normal household one that I have.

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, just make sure you drop the light fixture down inside the brooder area so the temp at the floor is right. 95 1st week, 90 2nd, etc. Also keeping the light at one end of the brooder and food and water at the other end. Good Luck!!

6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

That poor RIR looks like she's 3 wks old or more w/ wings & tail like that. They could do w/ 75-80* temp or even less, make sure the heat source be up above the screen/chicken wire barrier in the brooder, I only use 100w bulb the first 2 wks and raising the bulb up then switch it to 60w thereafter, since they can fly up in 2-3 wks old. monitoring the floor temp or all together use a heat pad like what other said, which I couldn't afford. I brood chicks [​IMG] with lights for 4 yrs now w/ extreme caution due to chicks flying/jumping and dust accumulation around the lights that could start a fire.

Regarding the lame/broken leg it could be a genetic problem. I raised a chick that has that problem couple of years ago and was very challenging, I have her up to 16 wks until she got pecked to death when she got stock in a corner of the run one day, it's heart breaking but seems like chickens eliminate their own when they see weakness.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  7. procyonlotor

procyonlotor New Egg

Mar 31, 2017

I've had them for two weeks today, but I don't know the exact hatch date since they came from the local farm supply. The light was about a foot and half above the floor of the brooder, so I was definitely surprised that she flew into it.
    She is noticeably smaller than the other chicks. I'm hoping to move my other chicks to the coop this weekend and keep them in there with a light. Once they are fully feather I plan on opening the door to the run so they can start to explore.
    I'm afraid to separate her from them. My thinking is if they are separated, she will be picked on when I reintrodue heras she matches them in size. Right now, they just run over her when startled in the brooder and I'm afraid she will be hurt more.

8. GoldGirl12222

GoldGirl12222 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    One of my chicks had a hurt leg... she didn't survive. I'm not saying this will happen to your chick. Good luck!

9. GoldGirl12222

GoldGirl12222 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    Don't be afraid to separate. That's what i had to do but when i put her back they were glad to see her[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by