1. SuperChick94

SuperChick94 Hatching

Jul 24, 2014
    I need help!!
    I have a baby check whose eye is swollen shut from his mother pecking him (I've separated them). There are no other chick's left and his second eye has also swollen shut. I don't know what I can and can't use one him, and he can't see to eat or drink. I can't afford even the smallest expense right now, but I really want to save him. He seems so weak now.
    Please please please help!

2. Charmedlady

Charmedlady In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Bay Area, California
    Ok, that same thing happened to me July 2 only it was worse, I had a similar one who had 1 eye and 1 ear pecked till both were bloody and swollen. I actually thought it's eye was missing when I brought him inside. I just put him under a heat lamp (don't overheat of course) with a little bit of water but dunked his beak myself every once in awhile just to make sure he got some fluids. By day 3 his eye was good and I'm not sure how his ear is functionally but it healed on the outside within a weak and now he is 3 weeks old and perfectly fine. I also put his brother in the box with him to keep him company : )

3. mightymax

mightymax Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I would gently wash/rinse the eye and surrounding area with lukewarm water but no soap. Then I would dry her completely with a soft towel and place her under a heat lamp. Babies that get chilled when injured don't do well at all. If you can get a hold of some ophthalmic ointment (Terramycin's a good one), I'd put that on, in and around the affected eye several times a day for 2 - 3 days or until it starts to look like it's healing. The only other thing I can think of right this second is to dip her beak in some sugar water (mixed with electrolytes and vitamins if you have some on hand, if not, just use sugar). This will help keep her blood sugar level stable enough for her to remain conscious even if she doesn't happen to be eating at the moment. Hope she makes it! My thoughts are with you both.

4. mightymax

mightymax Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    How is your chick doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: