hurt chicken leg and maybe wing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HFGodsey, Dec 9, 2013.

1. HFGodsey

HFGodsey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    We had a chicken at a horse stable that loved the horses and would frequently roost ON their backs. We decided it best to bring it home as this was spooking the horses and the horses were the only thing keeping the chicken safe. The night before we were going to bring it home it somehow got hurt. no VISIBLE injuries though. Unable to stand and wing out to the open position. It was almost like it had been kicked or something. Anyway I brought it home and put it in a kennel and leaned it up against the left side with food and water in front of it. It is eating and drinking very good and seems a little better but still after a week it is not putting any weight on its legs ....neither I of them. It can grab with its feet and if I hold its legs flap its wings but after it flaps them one wing will hang down like its broke. If I thought there is a chance even it will get better I want to try. This chicken LOVES people and will talk to us and will as I call it purr when we talk to it or pet it. However I don't want it living the rest of its life like this. How long is a good time to allow it to get better before putting it down? Has anyone experienced this and had success with the chicken getting better? If so how long did it take? Thanks so much!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    What do her legs look like? Can you provide us a picture? Does she seem paralyzed? Are you absolutely certain she was injured? I'm asking this because they're is a disease called mareks disease and this disease causes tumors inside the body that press on the nerve endings and can be as subtle as a droopy wing to a limp or as apparent as outstreached legs and total paralysis. Mareks disease is litterly every where and our only defence is vaccination although even vaccination is not 100%. Mareks can travel miles in the wind. It is highly contagious . If you have other birds I would keep her seprated inside away from them until your certain what her issue is.if its mareks change your clothes and shoes before you visit your birds. If by chance it is mareks and other birds were in contact with her it does not mean they will become ill. It does mean however if they were in contact they can become carrier birds and infect others. I'm not saying your bird has this disease but im saying be aware that it is possible if you see no injuries on her at all. What you discribed as her symptoms could possibly be mareks IF she was not injured by the horses. Does any thing appear to be broken? Her legs? Her wings? Any lumps or swelling in any areas that she may have been kicked in? Any brusing or signs of injury?? I would continue to try to offer her supportive care but if she does not get better I might condider the possibility of mareks. How do her legs look. that's a big clue. Are her legs stretched out? If they are streatched out it is another possible sign of mareks. If you can post a picture of her it could be very helpful. I have not seen her and I'm NOT saying she has this disease. I' just wanted to make you aware that those symptoms could possibly fit the discription of this disease. Please look up mareks disease online. See if she fits the symptoms to you. Does she appear in pain as if she was hurt? Does it bother her to move her wing or legs?? Can you post a picture of her and maybe we can be of more help. Did she ever appear in pain from her injuries?? I'm just trying to help rule out if she was injured or if its something else causing these symptoms. If you can post her picture that would be very helpful. I wish you the best.

3. HFGodsey

Nov 24, 2013
    I will look it up. I am not 100% sure she /he got hurt but I do know that the chicken could fly up and jump down from stall doors and horses backs and I have read that a lot of peoples chickens have gotten hurt jumping down. I am hoping that's all it is. The left side feels different from the right side up near her body and she would always fall to the right side. It almost feels like a ligament near her body that holds something in place is gone but I'm just guessing. I can put everything in place but she usually sticks that leg back out again. she does grab with that foot though so its not totally paralized. But she can't stand at all even on one foot. :-(

4. HFGodsey

Nov 24, 2013
    Ok Realsis Im thinking you might be correct. I looked up Marek's disease and that is what I am leaning towards. It is a herpes virus and luckily I have Colloidal Silver on hand and started my chicken on it tonight as soon as I got home. I can't figure out how to post a pic from my phone so I'm sorry. Yes her leg is stretched out and one wing droopy, the toes on the outstretched leg are pointing straight out but she CAN grab with them but not for long. She can't sit up hardly at all. Sooo I will continue to update to let y'all know how the colloidal silver does. She drank quite a bit of it and is eating. I gave her some straight and put some in her water as well. :) I hate this news but I feel encouraged because I read today that many people have saved their birds with CS. I believe in my heart if this is Marek's Georgie will be up in no time at all! I have seen this tuff work on a protozoa (EPM) in a horse I have no doubt it will help this sweet baby. :) Thank you for letting me know!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by