Hurt chicken need help finding out what happened

jarasz

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 5, 2008
Hello,
I went out in the pen today to check on my chickens, 6 RIR and one RIR roo. One of the hens was laying on the ground and her back was missing some feathers. I picked her up to put her in a small cage inside the pen so the other hens and rooster can't bother her and noticed that under one of her wings the skin is missing and I could see the muscle and more! She felt good enough to give a call out to the rooster when I picked her up. The pen that the chickens are in is totally enclosed A-framed. So I know it was not an outside pretator. Is she the roosters "favorite?" and he just took advantage. I beginning to think that the rooster is good for nothing except making me watch my back every time i go into the pen. Any ideas on how to help her, what could have happened or what to do with the roo would really help.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Does the roo have long spurs? It is possible that he fell off while maiting and cut open her skin on her hip area. Or could something have reached though the wire? Coons can reach though one inch holes no problem if they really want something. Or is there something she could have caught herself on? My guess it was the rooster though if you are sure nothing could get in.

Clean up the wound and make sure it doesn't get infected. Watch out for flies and try to get the skin to meet back up. Best of luck!

Thanks I think you are right it must have been the roo. I begining to think they, roosters, are not worth the headache. I just have to figure out what to do with him and his very large spurs!

Back
Top Bottom