11 Years
May 22, 2008
sc
Our chicken wass attacked by dog
Her tail bone in halfway chomped off and is flapping her wings and squaking
i think she has internal injuries
Help; please
thanks

First...take a deep breath...and try to calm down. Can you get a good picture of the wound?
Is the hen bleeding? How is she acting? Sleepy, walking,head pulled in and fluffed up? Is there an open wound or just feathers pulled out?
The biggest thing...is to keep her calm...in a dark place....and hydrated. Put her in a dog crated...or a box...on clean bedding or towels...offer her water...and keep her in a quiet place. Let her adjust to the trauma. I hope she pulls through. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Is she passing blood through her vent? How bad are the external injuries? Broken bones? If you think she can be saved, clean up her injuries, use an antiseptic on them, and make her as comfortable as possible in a quiet dark place. If you do believe she has internal injury, then you have to decide if maybe she should be put down. Or you may want to take her to a vet if you have one. Dogs can be savage. I wish you the best.

The tail is hanging off we could put her in the coop with her injured sisters we are feeding her advil in water

No Advil, only aspirin. Advil/Tylonel can be toxic to animals. Keep her separate and quiet. Do you have antibiotics you can give her to avoid infection?

It is toxic, they have trouble when their body tries to metabolize it....but Dont worry about that right now, just switch over now. CAn you show up pics so we can help?

Last edited:
Yes, it could kill her. ONLY give aspirin. You need to add electrolytes to her water for shock and start her on vitamin drops...poly-vi-sol baby vitamins, one drop three times a day. If her tail is hanging off, then she needs to see a vet. If it's just some of the tail-feathers drooping you may be able to save her. You have to looks for puncture holes and other injuries that could be life-threatening.

i wish my digital cam only can download all 1000 of my pic and would take hours
I can explain
all tail feathers missing from where wings end down is detached bleeding severly big gash under wing puffed up very hot huffing and puffing can stand up and is flapping wings and skwaking
We are force feeding her water

I think you need to pull her out of the coop and put her in a quiet place so she can calm down. The other chickens may attack her or pick at her and she won't be able to settle down. Also if there is bleeding you need to get it stopped as soon as possible. You can flush the wound out with some saline solution or betadine if you have it on hand and then apply pressure gently to stop any bleeding. Wrap her in a towel and cover her head to keep her calm. Once she's cleaned up you can then assess her injuries better. You need to determine if she's actually got a chunk torn or if it's just the skin that is ripped. You also need to get her into a clean area to avoid contaminating the wound. You can clip feathers with scissors if you need to in order to see where the wound ends and begins or in order to treat it. Try to make sure you locate any and all injuries from tears to puncture wounds and flush those out as well. You can treat superficial wounds with neosporin but for more serious wounds you may need a vet.

Back
Top Bottom