HURT CHICKEN!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by uhilun, Nov 3, 2008.

1. uhilun

uhilun Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    My chicken was hurt by who knows what. She lost many feathers and is bleeding. I don't know what to do and I am afraid she might die. If you have any suggestions I am open to them. She was recently bitten by a dog and was limping for a few weeks. I am cautious to put vaseline on her skin.
    Thanks,
    uhilun

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Keep her in a comfortably warm quiet STRESS FREE place where nothing can hurt her. She could die from shock so needs the best possible environment right now. She needs a chance to calm down if this just happened. You can use something like a large dog carrier with soft bedding, and access in there to clean water and food. In a quiet room.
    Can you post pics?
    The more info folks here have the better they can help you.
    If you have access to Rescue Remedy put a couple drops in her water.
    Where is she bleeding and how badly?
    Do not put vaseline on her -
    You can put NEOSPORIN (plain neosporin not the kind with pain relief added) on surface wounds (that you preferably clean first) but if she has puncture wounds she may need more in the way of antibiotic.
    JJ

3. mrs.67

mrs.67 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    See if she will eat some scrambled egg. That had alot of protein for her. If you can get her to eat and drink then that would a great start.

you may want to rinse her wound with some saline.

Best of luck......keep us updated

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:I second this--Neosporin is GREAT and a nice warm place. Make sure she can get to her food and water. I always cook up rice for sick/injured chickens and scrambled eggs like mrs.67 suggested. ~T

5. uhilun

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for the updates. This happened a few days ago. She was hurt on her back. I will get a large dog crate. She was under my car for a long time scared to come out. So calming her down would probably be best.
    Thanks again,
    uhilun:)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  6. uhilun

Nov 3, 2008
    I don't think that she's bleeding anymore, but there defiantly traces of blood. The other chickens don't even seem to notice. She is walking very close to to the ground and slower then before. I hope she's OK!!!!
    Thanks for the advice,
    uhilun

7. uhilun

Nov 3, 2008
    I might have some pics. by tomorrow, she's asleep now. The Guinea Hens (which she is) are all sleeping on the trees. I believe she is with them which is a good sign, I think. She grew up with two herding dogs which have never left my chickens alone. They have constant attention, which means she (and my other chickens) are not afraid of dogs or anything that looks like one. Many of our Guinea Hens have been killed by dogs and foxes.
    Thanks again,
    uhilun:)

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hope she gets alot better [​IMG]

9. uhilun

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks!!! I don't know how to add a pictures, so you wont be able to see any until I know how to. Sorry. She is just lost a lot of feathers on her back.
    Thanks again!
    uhilun [​IMG]

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I hope your girl is ok!! If you think the wounds are deep or may be at risk of infection you can put her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic just in case. If they aren't deep and you think they are pretty clean, then I would say clean them with betadine (iodine) or something and treat with neosporin. You may want to do this daily (or more often) depending on the injuries.

Two of my girls were attacked a few days ago by two stray miniature pinschers. I posted pics of their wounds too. One lost all of her feathers on her back and has several wounds. The other one was molting at the time, so didn't have many feathers to start with. You might wanna check out that message/topic and see if there is any useful advice that you can use.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=101365

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by