Hurt Dove

Lady Lionheart

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
2DC21E4F-F782-40FF-9741-731E13835BCE.jpeg
Hey all. Haven't been around much, my chickens are awesome, no problems there. Found a young dove this morning and picked it up so my dogs wouldn't get her. She appears to have a hurt (broken?) wing. Wondering what the experts think about this? Do I try to help her or humanly put her down? Also I'm not even sure what to feed her? Thanks for any help...

You can feed her birdseed for now, but if you plan on keeping her you should buy some dove feed for pet doves. Most states have laws against keeping wildlife so you should check those out. If you don't plan on keeping her there are many places that you can call that will put her down or try and fix her depending on how badly she is hurt. If you plan on keeping her you can bring her to vet or try and patch her up yourself, but if her wing is truly broken she probably won't be able to fly again, so you won't be able to release her back into the wild. After that you could keep her as a pet, I have heard doves make wonderful pets, or you could start a dovecot.

You can feed her birdseed for now, but if you plan on keeping her you should buy some dove feed for pet doves. Most states have laws against keeping wildlife so you should check those out. If you don't plan on keeping her there are many places that you can call that will put her down or try and fix her depending on how badly she is hurt. If you plan on keeping her you can bring her to vet or try and patch her up yourself, but if her wing is truly broken she probably won't be able to fly again, so you won't be able to release her back into the wild. After that you could keep her as a pet, I have heard doves make wonderful pets, or you could start a dovecot.
Thank you. I'll find out the laws here and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom