Hurt dove?

Jmwah_12

Songster
May 7, 2020
Hello all so my backyard seems to be a hotspot for animals and a few weeks back I found this dove who seemed like it was hurt. It had its feathers messing around its neck and blood on him so I assumed he was hurt so I took him in and cleaned him up. However it’s been a few weeks and he still hasn’t grown any feathers back yet and he won’t fly a lot either. Should I be concerned or will he be fine? I have him in a large outdoor coop with a lot of flight space but he will only walk around on the ground or fly a bit when my chickens come to bother him but other than that he doesn’t fly at all. I don’t want to release him because he is very calm and gentle with me and I’m also afraid if he can’t fly something will get to him.

Maybe he has mites? Is he molting? I don't think either would cause blood but maybe if he was molting and couldn't fly something got him?
I checked him when i just got Him and I didn’t see any signs of mites, I’m not sure about molting though so I will have to check.

Molting or mites wouldn't cause him not to fly.
Lets see, who has expense with doves. @backyard pigeons? Its possible he got attacked by a predator and got away, maybe escaped with a fractured, or broken wing though. Do you have pictures? That would be helpful. Do you have a wildlife sanctuary in you area? That would be the best place for him, as they can properly treat any injuries bone wise, and release him.

If he had blood on his neck he may well have been attacked by a hawk and he may also have injured a wing so he can't fly. If he is eating and drinking ok then you just need to give him some time to heal. I AM VERY WORRIED that he is in with chickens that sometimes bother him, and he can't even fly to get away.

A hen of mine had a bad neck wound and couldn't fly from a hawk attack. It took months but she did heal.

Hello all so my backyard seems to be a hotspot for animals and a few weeks back I found this dove who seemed like it was hurt. It had its feathers messing around its neck and blood on him so I assumed he was hurt so I took him in and cleaned him up. However it’s been a few weeks and he still hasn’t grown any feathers back yet and he won’t fly a lot either. Should I be concerned or will he be fine? I have him in a large outdoor coop with a lot of flight space but he will only walk around on the ground or fly a bit when my chickens come to bother him but other than that he doesn’t fly at all. I don’t want to release him because he is very calm and gentle with me and I’m also afraid if he can’t fly something will get to him.
Do you have photos? What color is the bird? Does it look more like this:

PIGEONS:
IMG_20200608_132851.jpg
IMG_20210112_125130.jpg
IMG_20200721_142219.jpg
IMG_20210112_125030.jpg
IMG_20210112_125935.jpg
IMG_20200721_142225.jpg

These are all pigeons, which I think could be what you have. The only reason I think you may have a pigeon because you said it is calm. A wild dove would not be calm, injured or not. But pigeons, whether a lost domestic one or a feral one are often very trusting!
Lets see, who has expense with doves. @backyard pigeons?
I don't have experience with doves, but often "doves" are actually pigeons! Thank you for the tag!!

These are all pigeons, which I think could be what you have. The only reason I think you may have a pigeon because you said it is calm. A wild dove would not be calm, injured or not. But pigeons, whether a lost domestic one or a feral one are often very trusting!
I totally agree, I thought the same thing. I don't have much experience with doves or Pigeons so wasn't sure.

Back
Top Bottom