Hurt duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by purplebird, Sep 14, 2016.

1. purplebird

purplebird New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    Centralia, WA
    We have muscovies, and a friends dog got into the pen last night and killed one duck, and hurt another. We are currently deciding what we want to do with the young(about 2-3 months) hurt drake. Do we try and nurse him(and as such turn him into a pet), or do we butcher him ahead of time and put him out of any pain he might be in? We're not sure exactly how he's hurt, but he moves around with a sort of hop/flop motion. I'm worried about his quality of life if he heals up. It might be a leg, it might be a wing, or it might be something inside. Would a broken keelbone or broken back heal at all, if thats what it is? This is our first batch of ducks, and I'm just not sure what I want to do about it yet. We already have a boy for breeding, and this one was destined for food or selling once he got bigger(unless he turned out way prettier than out current big boy). Attached is a video of him moving around.

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give him some time every day in a tub of lukewarm water, let him float. It may be a back injury, or it may be pulled muscles. The latter will heal, and in fact, even a back injury can be recovered from with a bit of TLC in some cases.

I trust you have taken care of the security issue.

Did you look under the wings and around the vent? Tub time will help you assess what is going on better.

3. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Like Amiga said, try putting him in water.if his leg(s) or back were really broken, he wouldn't be moving.he could have pulled a back muscle or something.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How is he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by