Hurt Ducks

Heritage Farmstead

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Western NY
I'm posting this for a friend...that had 2 of their ducks get attacked last night. Thinking it may be a racoon? One duck's leg was broken and the other one has a nasty back end. Someone told them that the tail feathers would bleed badly and would need to be plucked out to stop it? I know nothing about ducks! They tried calling several vets in the area, unfortunately none of them would look at them or offer any help or suggestions
sad.png
Does anyone know how they might set the ducks leg or clean the others' rump area? Would they need to be euthanized?
th.gif
Of course they do not want them suffering .... thank you for any direction you can provide!

I'm unsure on the leg, but on the injury, clean it with some warm water, put antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on it, give them both some water with elecrolytes in it and keep them in dark quiet place.
Let me see if I can find anything on a broken leg.

This is some advice I found about a broken leg(chickensioux wrote this and she knows a lot about ducks).
"You can stabilize the leg with popsicle sticks (wrap them with cloth) and then gently wrapping the leg with Vetwrap. Depending on where the break is, this may be difficult. Higher up on the leg poses problems and may need proper vet care. A lower leg break can sometimes be done with vetwrap (feedstores or local vet should have this).
Make sure the duck stays quiet. Keep it in a small dog crate or something so it can't move around much.
Make sure it eats and drinks. Have water avail. closeby. Offer it treats like peas, corn, yogurt along with gamebird feed."

I would also give them both a shot of PenG Procaine to ward off infection.

Back
Top Bottom