Hurt foot or something worse?

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
My Brahma started walking with a limp today (see videos). She has an appetite, she tries to walk around, she'll jump off of the couch, her comb isn't pale, she's not acting funny. Just the limp. But she doesn't flinch when I manipulate her leg and foot. Any ideas? What should I do to help her get better?

Last edited:
How old is she? On the chance this is just a deficiency or a temporary nerve inflammation, you can try treating her with vitamin B-complex. Get the B-100 or B-50 complex from the store in the people vitamin section. One a day directly into the beak until she is back to normal.

There's a chance this is from an avian virus. It that case, you can expect this to worsen in spite of treatment.

How old is she? On the chance this is just a deficiency or a temporary nerve inflammation, you can try treating her with vitamin B-complex. Get the B-100 or B-50 complex from the store in the people vitamin section. One a day directly into the beak until she is back to normal.

There's a chance this is from an avian virus. It that case, you can expect this to worsen in spite of treatment.
She's 8 months old. I'll definitely try the vitamin b. I did give her nutradrench and some hard boiled egg this morning to try to get some vitamins in her. I have her inside in a pen so she won't move much. It's that a good idea?

Last edited:
If it's an injury, limiting her mobility is a good idea. Also, heat may help.

Last year, I had three pullets afflicted with lameness. You can read this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ to see all the ways you can try to treat lameness. Some gave my pullets a brief term of relief, but in the end, it was a virus that was responsible, and all had to be euthanized.

Back
Top Bottom