Hurt girl

Angieschickens

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2022
woke up to this . I spray blue kote but it’s bleeding pretty bad . Ideas?

Attachments

• 4FB3EE20-D9CE-48E3-9047-5C5840A7F8F4.jpeg
    4FB3EE20-D9CE-48E3-9047-5C5840A7F8F4.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1F39BA5F-2FBA-4850-B7DF-05579B5CD31B.jpeg
    1F39BA5F-2FBA-4850-B7DF-05579B5CD31B.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 5
Clean it with water, I'd put some blue kote or vetrycin. It should be ok. Better pictures after it's clean will help

I cleaned it but it just keeps bleeding I used blue kote and blood stop powder . It’s definitely her mail spilt/almost ripped off .

How is she?

If the nail is split and hanging, you may want to trim/cut it off so it doesn't get hung on something.
Broken nails bleed quite a bit, but they will eventually clot. A dab of Blu Kote if you wish. Once it's stopped bleeding, I'd put her back with her flock and see how she does. Check the toe daily, but ime, these things heal with no problem if the bird is on relatively dry bedding. She'll be tender for several days.

I want to put a band aid on it
How is she?

If the nail is split and hanging, you may want to trim/cut it off so it doesn't get hung on something.
Broken nails bleed quite a bit, but they will eventually clot. A dab of Blu Kote if you wish. Once it's stopped bleeding, I'd put her back with her flock and see how she does. Check the toe daily, but ime, these things heal with no problem if the bird is on relatively dry bedding. She'll be tender for several days.
we ended up bandaging it . The blu kote didn’t help much. I changed the bandage last night it looks like it is healing up . Going to take it off tonight. She so sad though her little tail is down and her comb has shrunk ?

Attachments

• EA2E097D-99AE-4476-989F-44A779205B05.jpeg
    EA2E097D-99AE-4476-989F-44A779205B05.jpeg
    836.1 KB · Views: 3
I want to put a band aid on it

we ended up bandaging it . The blu kote didn’t help much. I changed the bandage last night it looks like it is healing up . Going to take it off tonight. She so sad though her little tail is down and her comb has shrunk ?
Have you checked the bottom of her feet and looked her over for other injuries?

Any chance you know how she broke the nail?

I'm going to say she has something else going on, is she molting? When was her last egg?

I've never had one be depressed like this with just a broken nail (or even broken toes/spurs or leg injury).

Feel her crop first thing in the morning before she's eats/drinks to make sure it's emptying.
See that she's eating/drinking well during the day.

Back
Top Bottom