Hurt guinea fowl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickchick-chicky, Apr 23, 2019.

1. chickchick-chicky

chickchick-chicky In the Brooder

Oct 30, 2018
    I really need help. We have this guinea fowl with a wonky foot. We’ve tried to tape them to correct it, build a splint but nothing has helped. She can hobble around but I know it hurts. She eats and drinks fine. Poo is normal. I really don’t know what else to do for her. We have no vets around.

Attached Files:

2. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    nightowl223 likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    From the pictures it appears that the injury may be in her knee joint as it appears to be swollen. Reduced activity might be good for, but it is nearly impossible to keep Guinea fowl quiet and calm.

nightowl223 and anderstr196 like this.
  4. chickchick-chicky

Oct 30, 2018
    She lays down a lot. It’s been like this for about 2 weeks and now showing any improvement. It’s like it’s twisted

5. There's a tendon they (all birds) have, sorta like our achilles, that runs from the hock up over the joint, going right between the two bumps that are the upper leg bone, and attaches to the muscle above. I may have a picture to help you locate it. If it has slipped ot of where it goes, it can cause the kind of pain and awkward leg shape like this.

6. Here are a couple of pics I drew some helpful lines on for another person whose chicken had a leg problem. It shows the tendon I am talking about, that you need to locate on her injured leg.

Edited to add: the blue line on the 2nd pic is where it should be, running right between the bumps on the upper bone (see pic).

(another edit - sorry, it wasn't the femur, like I first wrote)

Attached Files:

7. chickchick-chicky

Oct 30, 2018
    Will it be easy to tell? I’m terrified I’m going to make it worse

8. You should be able to feel it without putting any significant pressure on it. Now, as far as easy, well... not much is easy with a guinea fowl, LOL!

9. chickchick-chicky

Oct 30, 2018
    If it is slipped, what do I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: