1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hurt leg help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DillardHome, Nov 6, 2010.

1. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Hello All!!

Yesterday I noticed my Silkie roo limping. He is favoring his right leg. I picked him up to see if something was stuck in his foot but nothing seemed abnormal. He normally stays close to the outside of the coop while the others free range with the EE roo, but today he might have made it out of the coop a few feet and he went back in and rested on the floor. I am pretty sure he was 'out of commission' all day. When I went to close up the coop tonight he was resting on the floor instead of his normal spot up on a board. I tried to place him on the board so he wouldn't be on the ground but his was unable to put any weight on his injured leg, so I ended up placing him in a nest box so he could be warm tonight. Nobody is bothering him, they all just seem to leave him alone. I have no idea how he hurt it.

I am avoiding the fact we may have to put him down to end his suffering. Do any of you have any suggestions that I can try first?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    He still can't stand this morning. He just plops down when I lifted him up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by