Hurt leg, no balance, tips to help healing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mboreham1, Jun 20, 2010.

1. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    Mille Fleur Belgian D'Uccle got injured by two over exuberant beagles. No skin punctures, she is still eating and drinking, however, she cannot put weight on her right leg. I have compared the good leg to the bad leg, cannot feel any breaks, foot through hip. I have fed her egg and normal layer pellets (she is 1 year old)

If she has a tendon/muscle injury, how long to heal? Is it better to keep her moving to prevent stiffness or keep her still? If it is a fractured bone, how long does that take to heal? At the moment she is inside in a rubbermaid tub with water, food, straw and warmth. Is this a week long thing or longer? It is very tough to treat without knowing exactly what is wrong, i am hoping someone on here has some experience with strains etc

2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    My Hard Boiled had a run in with our dog. Se was limping a bit. I just kept her in the house for a few days. all was good with her afterwards. she just needed some R and R. She may just of strained it like mine did.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  3. mboreham1

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    did you let her outside to "stretch" or just kept her in for full r and r?

4. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Yes I did , but away from others. she just wanted to lay down though. after 2 days inside I returned her with her flock and she got more and more stronger on her leg durring the day.

5. mboreham1

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    its been 2 days so far, i can see it being a few more before she is stronger again, there does not seem to be any progress so far, she just wants to sit and watch the world go by

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by