Hurt leg on baby turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by AhBee01, Apr 20, 2009.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I think it hurt it's leg by trying to fly out of the brooder and landed into the water or feeder.
    It is walking on it, but limps. here are some pics, should I try to splint it or just let it be for now.
    It seems to still be eating and drinking.
    If I should try to splint it, how do I go about doing so! It is 2 weeks old, and I have them on bedding, it is all I have.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    OUCH !!!!!

Yeah you'll want to straighten it out and put a splint on it to hold it straight. If you don't it will not survive with a leg like that. Pretty much straighten it and splint it to stay for a week or so or cull it now so it does not have to suffer a slow death.

3. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    :hugsYikes!!! poor thing! I would maybe try splinting it or taping it like you would "spraddle leg" using a large band-aid and keep him in a nice quiet area to heal. I have also given my injured chicks baby tylenol(.5 cc) to help ease the pain and help them rest while healing and have never had any side effects. Good luck!!!

4. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    WOW! That looks painful! I would try to put a splint on it or something! Good luck!

Cody!!

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

That is a very hard area to splint. Did this just happen, it was born normal? I would use some pipe cleaners and some vet wrap and try to splint it in position. It is often high up in the knee that is the real problem. I would give vitamins also. Good Luck & Best wishes.

6. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I don't think it was born that way, I just noticed it. It doesn't seem to be in pain. I will try something, it seems to turn that way while it is standing on it. When it tries to walk it does hobble a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by