Hurt Leg (photos): What would you do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PTFowl, Sep 22, 2011.

1. PTFowl

PTFowl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    WA
    This 21-day-old Buff Laced Polish started limping about 8 days ago. I think she probably fell off a roosting pole in the brooder. She/he is eating and drinking okay. None of the other 14 birds are having any problems. All the birds came from hatcheries. I didn't put up such high roosting poles when I moved them out to the coop yesterday. In the photos you can see how her right leg is bent outward at a weird angle. In the second photo you can see how she drags the leg. Originally I thought the problem was with her inner toe but now it seems that it is actually her leg. I've read that some people have wrapped an injured chick leg. I'm not sure what to wrap it with or if that would even help. What would you do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    there was another one I helped with this until she was able to get her chick to the vet. It bent out in the same manner.
    It ended up being a Vitamin D deficiency. the vet put them on Metacam to bring down the inflammation and manage his pain, and Zolcal-D for the deficiency.
    However B4 using any of those meds i suggest getting the vet to double check.
    Until then, do warm soaks with Epsome salt in the water, once a day for 15 mi. at a time.
    Then dry the leg off well and splint it in position to help reduce stress on the leg and to keep in correct anatomical position.
    you can use popsicle sticks and vet wrap, to splint...or whatever else you have around the house.
    I would also give her some poly-v-sol (WITHOUT IRON) for a few days to see if it helps.
    But if you can take her to a vet to get something to help, and make sure it is not broken or a slipped tendon.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. PTFowl

Aug 16, 2011
    WA
    Thank you Laura--really appreciate the advice and response. I'll get her to the vet.

4. PTFowl

Aug 16, 2011
    WA
    $82 and one vet visit later, the chick is now splinted and bandaged up and resting alone in a brooder separate from the rest of the flock until she learns how to get around better. Vet confirmed that problem is result of an injury rather than disease. The bird seemed so traumatized by the vet visit and now can't walk at all with the splint on but that's supposed to change as she gets used to it. Am doubting this was the right way to go seeing how hard this has been on her. The vet was great it's just that the whole process seems like more suffering for bird and not sure how much it'll help. Vet thinks it may be a fracture but can't know for sure without an x-ray. Vet said birds of this young age heal bones rapidly and this one may have already formed a new joint. Splint is supposed to stay on for 14 days unless toes start to swell and the bird will almost certainly always have a limp. She's eating small amounts but have used an eye dropper to get a few drops of water into her. I'm saying she but it could be a he.

[​IMG]

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Poor thing, hope it gets better soon [​IMG]

6. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Sorry she feel so bad [​IMG]
    i am really surprised the vet did not take an x-ray...that leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth (so to speak)
    let's hope the vet is right...if i were you, i would still give her either vitamins orally or in the water. Make sure you have her food and water in neck reach for her, if she cannot get up.
    I would also stand her up and help her take a few steps, so she learns and so you show her that she can walk with the splint on.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by