1. dozen chickens

dozen chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Western Colorado
    Hi there~ I am new to this site, and LOVE it! We have 12 chicks of various types, 10 are about 6-7 weeks old and the other 2 are about 4-5 weeks old. One of our Partrige Cochins seems to have a hurt leg. He is eatting and drinking fine, and otherwise acting normal but he appears to be limping on his right leg. It doesn't feel hot, crooked, etc and when I lay him on his back to get a better look it almost appears that it has something to do with the hip area. Do you have ANY idea what could be going on? This is day 3 and I figured I would see if anyone here had any ideas before I take him/her to the vet? Anyone??? Thank you SOOO much in advance! [​IMG]

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, What kind of flooring do they have? Is it paper towels or newspaper or straw? Sometimes one chick will develop spraddle leg and have what appears to be loose hip joints and trouble walking. If so, you may want to visit this site:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Hope this helps!

3. dozen chickens

dozen chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Western Colorado
    Thanks so much for the info! I am checking into that. They are housed in wood chips, and there is a perch in with them but I don't recall this one ever sitting on it, so it very well may be that his legs are just weak- I will give it a shot! Thanks a lot!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by