hurt leg?

tiffanya

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
I was so happy when all 13 of my first batch of chicks survived to go outside to their run. However, a week or two later, when one of my rooster was 6-7 weeks old I noticed that he was hopping on one leg on morning. Other than that he seemed fine, just wouldn't put weight on one leg. The next day was the same. He was eating and drinking fine, just not using one leg. The third day however he was week and would not stand at all. I separated him from the rest of the flock and he continuted to loose strength and died a few days later. Any ideas why what seemed like a simple injury went downhill so quickly or what the cause may have been?

Could be Marek's disease. Could also be that he had a deeper injury to his body, or whatever hurt his leg caused an infection. When you put him into quarantine, did you examine him closely for an injury?

I did and couldn't find anything. None of the other birds have gotten sick and it's been about two months now. It was just strange how fast he went downhill.

Back
Top Bottom