HURT OR WHAT??

ScarletDucky2

Hatching
Apr 11, 2016
About 2 weeks ago I got two baby ducks and they have been fine up until yesterday..My boyfriend went to go check on them and he realizes the one neck was all twisted/curved....he was acting fine but now it seems like he having trouble walking and stuff....no one touched the ducks that day so I don't know what's going on....I have them in a crate because I have them in my house right now, they have bedding, food, water, and a hear lamp

It sounds as if the duckling may be suffering from niacin deficiency. Type 'niacin deficiency' in the search bar at the top of the page - several pertinent threads will appear. Good luck in resolving the problem.

Is there any way to help

@ScarletDucky2 - yes.

If it's B vitamin deficiency, you can start them right away with help like this (I keep this writeup because it is not unusual to see these deficiencies)

People often get confused about what to use, so please stick with me here
clip_image002.png

You have some options.

I would go with brewer's yeast. Forgive me for using capital letters, but for anyone else who may casually look over this thread, NOT baking yeast, NOT winemaking yeast. Brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement and it provides niacin and a few other vitamins.

Ducklings need about three times the niacin chicks do. And some ducklings get leg problems or seizures if they don't have enough niacin.

If you cannot find the brewer's yeast, or if you happen to have (here come the capital letters again, please forgive me) PLAIN niacin - NOT no-flush, NOT timed release, then dissolve 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for the duckling’s drinking water.

Another approach is to use B Complex capsules, and use the B3 - niacin - levels as a guide. Again, 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Keep the little one on the supplements for about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it only takes a few days to see improvement.

You can also see how it went for Qwackers and Bentley from these threads.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

They need more niacin than is in chick starter. As Amiga mentioned above, the easiest way is brewers yeast or niacin tablets
It can be fixed if it is treated ASAP.

TSC's staff isn't wrong about the chick starter food, but it's not completely correct either. Ducks need niacin (Vitamin B3) in their diet, and more of it than chicks do.

While you can feed chick starter, you will need to follow the above recommendations on supplementing niacin or you may start to see other issues. Brewers Yeast is easy to add to their current food (and health food stores usually have it) but you can get niacin as well and add it to their H20 source.

Back
Top Bottom