Hurt pekin duck, HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by P3JF, Feb 26, 2014.

1. P3JF

P3JF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Florida
    I live in Florida and I have a 7 month old female peking duck. She has a 7 month old peking male duck to keep her company. I have a nice clean coop where they sleep at night. I keep them fenced in with deer netting but sometimes they sneak out because I have a large man made Lake with other ducks. Tonight about midnight I went to lock them up and they both were escaped in the lake. When I got her out she was hurt badly she was bleeding under her wing and on her neck pretty badly not gushing but bad. It's like a hole or bite mark in both spots. There's other abrasions on her back too but not as serious. I read a aspirin will help because I can't get her to a vet till the morning.

What can I do to help her?
    I have no idea what attacked her.

2. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Hi, I have no advise to give you really, as I am a new duck owner, but I wanted to say I hope someone more experienced can help you, for the little that I know I would say keep her warm, calm and settled as much as possible, perhaps make a cornflour paste (cornflour and water mixture until paste consistency) I am not sure what you would call (cornflour) in the States maybe maize flour? , anyway paste it on, as this should help with stopping the bleeding, this was suggested to me by a vet for a bird that I had, so I am thinking it will help your duck..

All the best and keep us updated and as I said I do hope someone reads your call for help soon and gets you some advise....

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Well, its me again, cornflour is the equal to corn starch and you can give her a boost with unflavoured electrolyte in the states I think you call it pedialyte. But definitely keep her warm and quiet to help prevent shock. And make up the paste.....Also you need to be careful that maggots do not get to the bird...maggots like blood on animals and birds...talk to the vet about this in the morning when you take her :)

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Can you bring the pair inside? as said maggots if their is an open wound is a concern, since your in Florida i would gather bugs are still about? i am in frozen land so fat chance here lol

Clean the wounds, and i would FULLY examine her... the reason i say bring both is to keep her distress level down, being a pair they will both likely be upset if separated. When i had a duck attacked by a raccoon, we cleaned the wounds(just warm water) i used a wound product mainly for horses.. called wonder dust, it i can buy at most feed supplies...

[​IMG]
    now this is my method, there will be other ways, i can only suggest my way i did things.. keeping wounds clean is of utmost importance.. i am not adverse to using something called vet wrap to cover wounds either...

Definitely, make sure she is eating and drinking, some may add things like vitamins.. etc i have never done this so i will not advise on it.

FWIW ducks are awesome at recovery, my duck did survive and continued on.. he had the entire side of him ripped open and lost sight in one eye. Best of luck to you and your duck and please take a peek around that pen, pekin don't fly so you must repair the area they are using to get out, sadly it could happen again with results even worse.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    GQ has given you good advice... The other thing is Epsom salt compresses or soaks, I used those on one of my Khaki Campbells that was brutalized by an aggressive drake. She was healed up within a week. Def keep your duck with open wounds away from where the insects can get her.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, an ES soak something i admit we never thought of at the time... [​IMG]

7. P3JF

P3JF Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks for all the help guys! We took her to the vet and she needed stitches and antibiotics. Turns out it was our neighbors dog.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    glad you were able to get her to a vet, how did you find out bit was the neighbors dog I hope they are paying for the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by