hurt pigeon with my chicks?

Marcelleke

Hatching
Jun 19, 2017
Hi There!! I have not had chickens for the past few years, I wanted to have them again, and with a friends help, I am brooding chicks as we speak. (hatch day is tomorrow).
Now my husband rescued a pigeon a few weeks ago that had been hit by a car. He lost one entire wing, so obviously cannot fly. He has been living "happily" in our chicken coop.
Has anyone had any experience with a pigeon with their chickens? I am told it usually works out fine, but am a bit concerned, as he cannot fly. Any words of wisdom??

I personally would not house the two together.
You have no idea if the pigeon is carrying "stuff" that could cause the chicks to gt sick.

Not a good idea, imo.
Welcome to BYC.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

How nice of you to rescue a hurt Pigeon! But I do agree with KikisGirls here in that wild Pigeons and Doves do carry "stuff" that you don't want your birds to contract. Our wild Doves and Pigeons are loaded with Canker and this Canker even kills the wild Finches and Jays. So I personally would keep the two separated. Wild birds are known to carry all kinds of nasty that can kill your chicken flock.

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

How nice of you to rescue a hurt Pigeon! But I do agree with KikisGirls here in that wild Pigeons and Doves do carry "stuff" that you don't want your birds to contract. Our wild Doves and Pigeons are loaded with Canker and this Canker even kills the wild Finches and Jays. So I personally would keep the two separated. Wild birds are known to carry all kinds of nasty that can kill your chicken flock.

Good luck and welcome to our roost! :)
thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom