Hurt Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erner, Nov 26, 2010.

1. erner

erner Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullet is acting poorly. and I don't know whats wrong with her. She Will walk a few steps, fall down, and then struggle to stand back up. My dad put her in a nest box with half an apple, and she just sat there with her eyes shut. She dragged her wing a little when I brought her inside, and she is now sitting on a chair, in a cage with her eyes shut, like before. and her head is hanging. She does not try to get away when we pick her up. please try to help, I do not know much about chickens, and this is a new thing to me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Is this Cookies? Or one of my RIRs? [​IMG]

4. erner

erner Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, we've been giving her some corn syrup mixed with water (for energy) and that's all she's responding to. She did the 'death stretch' that cows do a while back. She shakes her head whenever we give her the syrup. (With a syringe)
    Hopefully someone knows what to do. She's breathing fine.

5. eenie114

(This is my sister's pullet, she's busy holding her)

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Some kind of bantam.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

She's lethargic, her wing was drooping, she can't walk.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

We found her about 15 minuites ago. About 2-3 hours ago, Mom saw her out by the coop just sitting there, and then she stood up, looking very ''poofy''.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No blood, but her wing was dragging and she can't walk.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Not that we know of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Corn syrup mixed with water. We tried giving her some sweet feed. Normally, she eats layer crumble.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

We havn't seen any yet.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Given her the corn syrup mixture.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?'

We'd really like to do it ourselves.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

8x12 coop shared with 38 other birds of mixed breeds and sizes.

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Has she been vaccinated against Marek's disease? It would help to rule it out as it can cause what you are seeing. She needs to drink more than anything as dehydration kills quickly. You don't need to give too much corn syrup but you do need to give her more water.

I am rooting for your little girl.

7. eenie114

Quote:We bought her at an auction a few days ago, so we have no idea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by