Hurt quail question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by danielb1990, May 25, 2019.

1. danielb1990

danielb1990 Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi quick question i was trimming my quails toe and acidentally went abit to far as it stuggled and it started bleeding i put pressure on the wound imidatly with tissue then just wiped it with water and added sudacream (the antiseptic heal cream used for babys to avoid skin rash etc) the bleed seems to have stopped and quail fine although abit slow moving (stays in a corner) is there anything else i need to do to help it recover fast as i dont want to lose it (it 1 year old and only have 1 other)

2. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    A hurt nail bed should heal okay as long as the quail is kept on clean, dry bedding. How deep is the wound/how exposed is the nail bed?

3. danielb1990

danielb1990 Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    not sure was hard to see but its walking around fine now and no sign of blood so it think was only the very tip of where went red to white (it had a hard dirt clump covering it which partly why i was trimming)

Also just as a precaution i dimmed the lighting heavily as i heard if the other sees blood it might start a fight but right now there fine and acting like normall again only with a tiny limp now and then

4. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    If it's just the tip, the bird is probably limping from pain. Dimming the lights isn't a bad idea, but its sounds like there's so little blood that it might not be necessary.

Keep their feet clean, keep them on clean, dry bedding until the wound has scabbed over completely. Coturnix heal very well if given he chance. I wish your quail a quick recovery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: