Hurt Rooster, attacked by coyote

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amiep14, Mar 18, 2012.

1. amiep14

amiep14 New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    Hello!

Really early this morning we had a coyote attack, 3 of our hens were taken and by the time we got outside we found our Rooster laying on the ground. I thought for sure he was dead, but when we got close he got up and tried to move. We picked him up and put him in the coop. This morning he is still laying there his head laying on the side. We took him out of the coop cause one of the hens were trying to get him out of the nesting box, so we moved him to the porch and put him in a big plastic laundry basket so he could lay some what comfy. We've gotten him to drink some Pedialyte/water mixture, but he's not interested in eating anything yet. Is there anything I can do for him? We've checked him over and mostly just some of his feathers were ripped out, no bite marks or wounds. He's a great rooster, really gentle and I've had him since he was a few days old so I'd like to do everything I can for him.

What would you suggest I do?

Thanks in Advance.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

He is probably in shock. You are doing good, I'd place him in a darker more quiet area in the basket, make sure he doesn't get chilled. Keep up with the vitamin water and leave a little food near him. Let him rest. Then it's wait and see...... Hopefully by tomorrow he might pick at food some. I have a little roo that got attacked by something, only missing feathers but found him in the cold laying flat on his little back, he was cold but when I picked him up he slightly opened an eye. I rushed him in the house, put him on a heating pad with warm water ziplock filled bags under each wing. I fed him vitamin water. It took three days for him to come out of it and start turning around. Now you'd never know. Best Wishes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by