hurt rooster, need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mstokes, Aug 1, 2010.

1. mstokes

mstokes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Today we noticed that our rooster was hopping along instead of walking. He is favoring his right leg and not using his left leg very much. We checked out his leg and foot and didn't notice any scratches, redness or swelling. Any suggestions to what might be wrong with him? He is only about five months old. He is usually a very active rooster running and chasing but he is sitting down a lot and not chasing me like usual! Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    How do his knees look?

3. mstokes

Aug 1, 2010
    Both knees looked the same. We didn't notice anything different about his knees from how they usually look.

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    could it be bumble foot a bump growing under the foot in the pad area?

5. mstokes

Aug 1, 2010
    would this be something that we could see right now or would it be developing underneath without us knowing?

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If bumblefoot - look for a black scab, small on the bottom of the foot.

Also, they can sometimes sprain a leg just by jumping off the roost or something and landing wrong.

7. mstokes

Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks so much for the suggestions so far. We will look for signs of bumblefoot. If it does happen to be a sprain, is there anything you can do for it?

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You can always crush up a little aspirin and feed it to him in a treat. Probably the equivalent to half a baby aspirin. It should make him feel better and reduce inflammation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by