hurt rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erikaressa, Sep 20, 2010.

1. erikaressa

erikaressa New Egg

Sep 20, 2010
    My beloved rooster may be not had a string wrapped around his talon the other day. I was able to unwrap the string and thought I had gotten it all, but realized yesterday he was limping on one foot. Once I was able to pick him up and look closer I was shocked and freaked out to realize I had not gotten all the string and a small bit was still tied around his ankle. I had luckily had a friend over and while I held may be not he was able to take very small scissors and cut the string where it was attached and cutting off may be not's circulation. To my horror I also realized that the string was now growing into his leg and it looks infected. When we were able to releas the string it started to bleed and was not able to get all of the string off as it is litterally ingrown in his skin. I could use any advice out there as I am afraid it is already infected and may get worse. I have some left over antiseptic wash from the vet which was for my chihuahua and wonder if it would be helpful to wash his leg with it daily? He is still limping today and I feel terrible for him.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Welcome to BYC, wish the circumstances were better.

What kind of disinfectant wash is it? I usually use Betadine, well watered down, for the chickens. Then I use a Neosporin without Lidocaine to top dress. If it doesn't start looking better after 3 days I go visit my vet. (he has chickens, too) If he's not around, I start injectable Penicillin-G, I think it's just under 1/2 cc in the breast daily? Do a search here, it will come up.

I don't know if the wash and ointment will soften the area enough to get the remaining string out, but I'd try. Do it twice a day, and if at all possible put him in a cage of some sort so it doesn't get too dirty and no one else can peck at it.

Good luck! And search high and low for any more string, wire, nails, staples, screws etc. They can all do damage.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You know, your post was puzzling me, so I reread for the fourth time.... and have finally figured out your rooster is named "may be not"! That's wonderfully funny! [​IMG]

4. erikaressa

erikaressa New Egg

Sep 20, 2010
    Thank you so much. I will check which kind of antispetic it is (blue in color and gets mixed with lots of water and smells bad). I also will find out about antibiotics and had thought about that too. Neosporin I have is an antibictieral as well. Yeah got May thinking she was a hen until she started crowing like a rooster so decided it must be May be not now. Will try all the above and also not sure if my vet is chicken savy but will surley give them a call now. Thanks again and will keep you posted. Also I do have a seperate coop for rearing with a small yard and will put him in there tonight when I get home from work.

5. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is it Nolvasan? That will work nicely.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You could try soaking the foot in water with epsom salts. That might soften it up enough to be able to get the rest of the string off and it will help clean the wound as well. If it gets soft enough you could try getting a pair of tweezers between the string and his leg and then be able to cut the string. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by