Hurt Silkie Bantams

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantamsRock14, Jul 7, 2011.

1. BantamsRock14

BantamsRock14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    We have a hurt silkie the back of her head has been pecked at so bad you can see her skull and she wont eat or drink!!Pls help

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    Can't help so *bump* [​IMG] Good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had a cochin frizzle bantam that had the same thing happen,[big rooster got her] I wash out the wound with warm soapy water, then rinsed it really good. I put neosporin on the wound itself and put her in a dog crate away from everyone else so she could rest and heal, after a few days I sprayed blue-kote on the wound and put her back with the flock, noone pecked at her so I left her. She stayed bald till she molted which was about 3 months but finally her feathers grew back. Rooster went to freezer camp. make sure she has plenty of cool water and if you can get some poultry vitamins or nutidrench for poultry and add it to her water. for food scrambled eggs and canned high quality cat food added to her feed. If she isn't drinking on her own try dribbling the water along her mouth she should drink that way your not as apt to get it into her lungs. If this just happened she may be in shock if so then just keep her quiet and warm and just offer her water, It's amazing what kind of wounds chickens can get and fully recover from. Please keep us updated on how she is doing. and [​IMG]
    forgot to ask how she got this wound?

4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Remove her from the flock immediately. Gently wash the wound with clean water and apply Blu-Kote. I'd say quarantine her from the rest until she heals.

5. BantamsRock14

BantamsRock14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Thanks guys but before i could try anything she died.but i had already separated her and tried to help.[​IMG] Is there something i did wrong???

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I am so sorry to hear you lost her [​IMG] maybe just the shock of the attack and wound took her i don't think you did anything at all. Just sometimes they don't make it. Please don't feel guilty, I'm sure she knew you loved her and cared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by