We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Hurt silkie hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lord73, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Lord73

Lord73 Hatching

Jul 5, 2019
    She has been limping since we got home and it seems to be getting worse. I tried to get some pictures and a video of how she gets around and acts during the day.
    I was thinking I should pull her out and keep her separate until she’s doing better.
    Any suggestions or idea as to why/what could be wrong. Should I separate her from the others?

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did you just buy her? Can you give us some background? Is she holding the hurt leg up, or putting some weight on it? Do her toes curl under on either foot? It is hard to tell if she has sand or dirt on her feet, or if there are crusty bits on her left foot. Can you start some vitamins that include riboflavin in her water, or give her 1/4 tablet daily of human B complex vitamins? Cany you soak her feet in sudsy warm water, and then take a pictures? I would keep her in a small pen with food and water, and watch her, and force her to rest the leg, and see how she is doing.

3. kissezmychicken

kissezmychicken Songster

Mar 13, 2017
    Thats a different looking silkie.. Ive not seen one that color.. Pretty.. I hope she gets well.

AmyJane725 likes this.
  4. Lord73

Lord73 Hatching

Jul 5, 2019
    I did just get her and she’s been limping since we got home with her. She holds it up and every once in a while she will attempt to put weight on it. Her feet are clear of crusties. She doesn’t move around much in the coop either. When I pick her up she doesn’t act like it’s hurting her so I don’t think it’s broken.
    Think I will keep her spectate for a little bit.

5. Lord73

Lord73 Hatching

Jul 5, 2019
    She is beautiful and so sweet. Loves to be held lol

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have treated a couple of hens over the years who limped, and held the leg up. One did well enough to toost at night and get all around the ranging area to get to food and water. She was fine after about 6 weeks. Another limped for a couple of years, but still got around normally, and eventually eventually wasted away and was euthanized. I always suspected that she had a spiral fracture that never healed. Forcing rest for a week inside a dog crate or pen with food and water, and re-evaluating her to see if it has improved may help. Sprains may take a few weeks to heal. A broken bone may take over a month to heal. Xrays are the best way to rule out a fracture, but quite expensive. Aspirin can be given in the water 325 mg per 240 ml (8 ounces) daily for pain and inflammation. Meloxicam, from a vet can do even better.

Lord73 and Stargazer04 like this.
  7. Lord73

Lord73 Hatching

Jul 5, 2019
    Thank you! I don’t think it’s too serious for X-rays but I have pulled her from the others so she can test and heal for a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: