Hurt Turkey-Suddenly can't balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbRedMom, Jan 4, 2014.

1. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Apologies if this isn't in the right place, I was worried it would get overlooked in the general Turkey section.

About 1.5 weeks ago, our newfoundland, who has been aorund poultry all his life, decided to chase the brand new royal palm turkeys my husband got me for christmas. he didn't kill any, but got one hen pretty good, plucking a lot of feathers and some skin off her back. But her color was good and she was walking around, so I found advice on here and cleaned her up, salved it with blue-kote, local honey, and nu-kote, and kept the area clean and dry with a cloth. I also started her on a week of pen-g. We cleaned her bandages two more, and this last time (wednesday) she really put up a fight and I got a busted lip for it. I also evenly clipped her wings (she came with one clipped) because I thought it might make it easier on her walk when shes all bandaged up.

I finished her antibiotics wednesday. Starting yesterday I noticed she was having trouble walking and standing up. She will fall forward on her keel, and just lay there, kinda listing to one side. She has no signs of infection or fever, her mouth is bright pink, and her crop is soft and fleshy. She was drinking and eating like a pig, but that stopped around thursday or friday.

She's by herself in a dog kennel in our spare bedroom. I've given her electrolyte water and dipped her beak in it, and offered her fresh green beans, but she just lays there with her neck tucked down and blinks at me. Her wounds are actually healing up really well.

I have pen-g and la200. Also Vit B complex. I also have sulmet, but her poop is greenish not yellow, which is what i believe coccidia is. Her brest is still well fleshed around her bone. Her bedding is dry and the room is coolish. What can I do for her? I dont want to lose her, and of course I've gotten a bit attached.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. bbRedMom

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I just started her back on the penicillin at a higher dosage. she's really weak. I also force fed her 30cc of electrolyte fluids and have a small heater in the room.

3. bbRedMom

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Nevermind, didn't make it. started gasping and just died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by