Hurting hen?

Enderbabe

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
Yesterday the wind knocked a piece of wood over and it landed on one of our hens! She was panting and limping, but now she can't stand without using her wings for balance and then laying down on her side. I really don't know what to do...

Usually when a bird is using wings for balance it indicates a leg injury,although i am not ruling out internal injuries. Do you have a cage to place her in and bring her inside home. Check her legs over very carefully can you feel any swelling,see if you can figure out which leg it is. Give her electrolytes for shock,keep her warm(when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp).

Panting can indicate pain/stress/overheated,i'm guessing in her case pain/stress are the problem.

Repost with information i have requested and we can go from there with treatment options.

Last edited:
I'll bring her in,and it looks like it's both legs. Her toes are curled and I can't get her to walk or even stand. Nothings really swollen. What should I use for bedding?

Last edited:
I'll bring her in,and it looks like it's both legs. Her toes are curled and I can't get her to walk or even stand. Nothings really swollen. What should I use for bedding?
Is she still panting? Where did wood hit her and how large a piece are we talking? The picture you posted.is that from yesterday,in photo you can see she is in shock,look at her eyes.

Use pine shavings or a towel for bedding,give her electrolytes for shock.Keep her quiet/calm/warm. Has she been eating/drinking? How does her poop look?

For pain you can give her a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a regular aspirin(325mg) dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese)or dissolve one 325mg aspirin per gallon of water.

She could have leg injuries or had wind knocked out of her or internal injuries. See if she improves,encourage eating/drinking especially drinking.

Her poop looks normal and she's been eating and drinking when I put water and food in front of her. It was a flat plank that fell directly on top of her. My sister was using it as a gate to the porch. I don't have aspirin, is there anything else I could use?

Usually when a bird is using wings for balance it indicates a leg injury,although i am not ruling out internal injuries. Do you have a cage to place her in and bring her inside home. Check her legs over very carefully can you feel any swelling,see if you can figure out which leg it is. Give her electrolytes for shock,keep her warm(when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp).

Panting can indicate pain/stress/overheated,i'm guessing in her case pain/stress are the problem.

Repost with information i have requested and we can go from there with treatment options.
I agree. Put her inside in the quiet with food and water , and let her get back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom