Husband banned me from going to TSC and Orschelns

Same here.  I'm really not supposed to go into TSC, or pretty much any feed store around here, this time of year!  Although I always slip in anyway!  One year chicks kept coming home with me, three times in a row, all within a week, darn things, DH was getting concerned! But now my coops are full, no room for any more right now, so hubby thinks he's safe for the time being.  Silly man, chick's are for ME!

LOL! Sooo funny!

The feed store got me today. I left with 3 chicks. What scares me is that they didn't have the feed I went in there for and that means I just have to go back again. I WILL NOT look at chicks, WILL NOT look at chicks.
tongue.png

The feed store got me today. I left with 3 chicks. What scares me is that they didn't have the feed I went in there for and that means I just have to go back again. I WILL NOT look at chicks, WILL NOT look at chicks.
tongue.png
Oh you will too and you know it! And you also know that if you already have chicks in the brooder there's no good reason at all why you can't sneak a couple or three or four more right in there with the rest! Last time I had the brooder running my husband got to where he'd look very carefully at what was in there in the morning so he could compare notes at the end of the day and see if I'd brought home any more little hitchhikers! So funny, he still couldn't keep track! Didn't even notice the night there was two extra RIR chicks in there!
I have finally learned that it's a bad thing for me to have my brooder going this time of year. Sadly I now raise chicks in the late summer/early fall when TSC and nearby feedstores do not have chicks to force upon me.

TSC has chicks next week here. Don't have any chickens yet, been doing research on coops. Really we wanted to get about 3 pullets, and 2 or 3 laying hens so we don't have to wait for fall for eggs. But TSC will only sell minimum of 6 pullets or straght run, so we don't know what we're gonna do.

TSC has chicks next week here.   Don't have any chickens yet, been doing research on coops.  Really we wanted to get about 3 pullets, and 2 or 3 laying hens so we don't have to wait for fall for eggs.  But TSC will only sell minimum of 6 pullets or straght run, so we don't know what we're gonna do.

Find the liCal forum for your area. Let everyone know what you are looking for. Someone will probably be able to help you out. Also check craigslist for the hens. You will not be able to put the hens and chicks together until the chicks are almost full grown, so be prepared to keep them separate for a while.

Find the liCal forum for your area. Let everyone know what you are looking for. Someone will probably be able to help you out. Also check craigslist for the hens. You will not be able to put the hens and chicks together until the chicks are almost full grown, so be prepared to keep them separate for a while.
Didn't know about how long the newbs had to be kept separate from the hens, thanks. I have checked on craigslist, with some results. Amaraucana, Buff Orpington, Red Stars, White Rocks, Light Brahmas and Barred Rocks, for $8 each. Yeah a bit pricey, but they are supposed to be 1-2 years old and laying fine. Also, we don't have the coop built yet, but plans are to be mostly finished by the end of March. Maybe we should get the pullets, 6 of them next week when TSC has them and just wait until August or September for the eggs.

I searched for liCal but found nothing, do you mean loCal?

Didn't know about how long the newbs had to be kept separate from the hens, thanks.  I have checked on craigslist, with some results.  Amaraucana, Buff Orpington, Red Stars, White Rocks, Light Brahmas and Barred Rocks, for $8 each.  Yeah a bit pricey, but they are supposed to be 1-2 years old and laying fine.  Also, we don't have the coop built yet, but plans are to be mostly finished by the end of March.  Maybe we should get the pullets, 6 of them next week when TSC has them and just wait until August or September for the eggs.  

I searched for liCal but found nothing, do you mean loCal?

Sorry, that was a typo. Find a "local" forum on BYC with members from your area/state. You may be able to get chicks/hens from another member in your area.

I had to go yesterday to Orschelns, but the Chick banner was not out. So i could go in safely. But Radcliff Ky will get them end of february from Mount Healthy

Back
Top Bottom