Husband has Swine Flu....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So last week, hubby got a cough. Which turned into a 102 fever...body aches, chills, coughing so hard he was throwing up. He wouldn't let me take him to the hospital--so I convinced him to go into the clinic on Friday. Turns out he had type A flu....he had 1,000 cc's of I.V. and a shot in the butt to keep him from vomiting. They wanted him to maybe stay overnight in the hospital....oh and he was all dizzy, too...I ended up taking him home (after his vitals were stablized) with a bottle of codeine cough syrup, some advil for the fever and a TON of Gatorade. Right after the IV he started feeling better....he's staying home from work now for the time being....and I apologize for not answering all of the PM's. I had to leave work at noon to drive him home (he drove himself to the doctor's)...and I'm just now able to answer emails and get back on track...

Oh and I don't have it...not sure why...they did perscribe me some "tamaflu" or whatever it's called...but I only took two....they made me sicker than crap....so I thought I'd see if I could "fight it off" on my own....and I think I may be out of the woods now....I hope....

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I hope your hubby gets well soon and I hope you don't get it...

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Thanks....he has a weak immune system because of another condition already--along with asthma...

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I got it while I was at the chicken show in Great Falls. I was sick for a full five days. I am still not back up to par yet, I need help still doing my chicken chores.

Make sure that he doesn't get pneumonia. If he has any trouble at all breathing get him back to the ER for some antibiotics.

5. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Quote:They make me sick as well! We all had it here he will be ok. It sucks but he will be ok! In the meantime I will happily keep you all in our prayers! PS it does take a little longer to get over! Just so your prepared, or at least it did here.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

pips&peeps :

I got it while I was at the chicken show in Great Falls. I was sick for a full five days. I am still not back up to par yet, I need help still doing my chicken chores.

Make sure that he doesn't get pneumonia. If he has any trouble at all breathing get him back to the ER for some antibiotics.

How was the show? Other than the swine flu part? LOL​

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Thanks everyone! He did get his chest x-rayed and it was good...with LOTS of gatorade & rest, he's almost back to normal...hasn't had a temp in two days now...

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:How was the show? Other than the swine flu part? LOL

My birds and my friends birds all did well, but it was mostly a blurr as I felt like hell.

9. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    That really stinks about everyone getting soo ill! I hope everyone gets better soon!! My sister in law just came down with the swine flu three days ago. She's doing better, she was able to get on 'the flu medicine' but it scares me a bit having three kids under six years old, and my husband works at the state prison, (germs galore!) thankfully none of the inmates or other officers have come down with it! Everyone is in my prayers!

10. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Sheesh! You guys are scaring the dang life out of me! I have asthma also and I'm afraid this flu crap is gonna kill me this winter! I just need to [​IMG] !!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by