Husband is going to be sleeping in the ckicken coop!

popcornpuppy

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Holland, Massachusetts
I'm ready to kill him.
somad.gif
We have 81 chickens right now. We agreed no more hatching until spring when we can downsize the flock and have enough coop space. I have 2 brooders in the house, one is becoming a perminent fixture. One group is 7 and a half weeks old and the other group is not quite 2 weeks old. So it will be a while before the little ones can go outside. The older ones should be ready to go out very soon (I hope).

So last night I am looking at the eggs we collected for the day and commented on the size of a few of them. Dear hubby says "I'd like to put that one in the bator."

Now without conversation or planning I have a dozen eggs in the bator, and 2 full brooders that are occupied. I am ready to send him to go sleep in the chicken coop so that he can see how much space we have (or don't have) to house all of these birds.
he.gif

When I asked him why he wanted to hatch more eggs he said "because they are so cute and fluffy."

So is he a true hatching junkie? Where am I going to put all of these hatchlings?!

sounds like the best option! Send him to see how humid, smelly and crowded it is. He's probably about 7-10 standard chicken size so that will be a fair assesment! Good luck, u may have to put your foot down for the sake of happy chickens. I would hate for it to be an "I told u so" situation if they all start injuring eachother.

Maybe get a chicken diaper, put it on a chicken and come to bed in the middle of the night with the room dark and the chicken under your arm...that way, when he asks why there's a chicken in the bed, you can say "this is the only place left to put any chickens around here, so you'd better move over."

lau.gif
gig.gif
yippiechickie.gif

You're complaining about him putting eggs in the incubator and some of us are trying to GET him to let us put more eggs in the incubator.
hu.gif

I'm curious... are you doing all the maintenance, cleaning and feeding, etc?? They ARE cute and fluffy - but messy and a lot of work! We have a rule in our house = no more critters unless both of us are on board! I have to admit, I love the idea of a chicken in a diaper in the bed!!! LOL!

How about -- Hatch as many as you want, but we can only keep ____ because we only have __ square feet of space, and we
(choose one or more)
a) don't have enough room in the coop
b) can't afford to build another coop
c) are trying to keep our birds under the radar -- do you want to lose them ALL??

So, do you want to
a) sell the chicks?
b) eat the chickens we already have?
c) sell the chickens we already have to make room for the new ones?
d) donate the chicks to needy families

LOL -- just trying to be constructive!

Back
Top Bottom